Telling daughter that her coach is wrong

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Son of NC State basketball coach plays high school ball. He says in the article below, “I’ve never been in a situation where the coach was telling me something in one ear and my dad was saying something else in the other.''

Have you ever told your daughter that her coach is wrong and to do it another way?

What do you think of this article?

Read on ...

N.C. State basketball coach Mark Gottfried evaluates players all the time.

But he discovered years ago that it is impossible to evaluate his children as athletes and knows that there is no way that he can impartially judge the play of his son Cameron, a junior starting point guard at Broughton High School.

“I’m not his coach. I’m his dad,” Gottfried said recently.

Gottfried recognizes what many parents do not: that taking an objective look at his child as an athlete is not just hard, it can’t be done.

Just like a golfer who remembers only the good shots, parents remember the best games, the best passes, the biggest hits. And parents are emotionally involved.

None of which helps to give an impartial evaluation of athletic potential.

Gottfried works with Cameron in the gym occasionally and talks basketball if Cam wants to, but Gottfried said his son has only one coach, Broughton High’s Jeff Ferrell.

“I can only coach one team at a time,” Gottfried said. “I would never try to coach Cam when he’s on somebody else’s team. Jeff Ferrell does a tremendous job. We talk about many things, but rarely talk about how my son is playing. What I want to be is a dad pulling for his son.”

Ferrell said whenever a player is caught between his coach and a parent, regardless of who the parent is, the player always loses. Should the player listen to his coach or to his parent?

“In that situation, the player cannot win,” Ferrell said. “If there is conflict between a player’s parents and me, the child is the one that is hurt the most.

“When I talk with parents, I ask them to try to keep the child first. Their child is a very important part of my life now, and I know he is to them. We both want what is best.”

Cameron Gottfried, who got more serious about basketball after becoming a varsity starter as a freshman at Gulf Shores, Ala., two years ago, said there has never been a problem with his dad pressuring him to play or contradicting his coach.

“I’ve never been in a situation where the coach was telling me something in one ear and my dad was saying something else in the other,” he said.

Mark Gottfried said he has seen the problems that can be created when parents have a difficult time accepting a coach’s autonomy.

“I’m a coach that also deals with parents, and I have seen parents ruin the player’s experience,” Gottfried said. “I don’t want to be a part of something that would make it more difficult on my son. I just want to support him just as much as I can.”

Ferrell said Mark Gottfried understands how to support his son, but never undermine or demean the high school coach.

“Mark walks in my shoes, although at much higher level,” Ferrell said. “At the end of the day, Mark is a coach and also a dad. I’m Cam’s coach. Mark has been in my shoes. He coaches other fathers’ sons. I’m very fortunate that he knows what we are trying to do and he reaffirms it.”

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
In principle, I agree; however, in real life I have reason to doubt that everyone and anyone who is a coach is guaranteed to be acting in our children's best interest. We are imperfect people living in an imperfect world and our mileage will vary.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
I have never told my DD her coach was wrong but I have told her that she may be told how to do something 4-5 different ways before she is done with her career . I have been fortunate that most of her coaches thus far have been open to compromise once I showed them why . The NECC video went a long way to resolving some of the issues her coach had with the way she was catching before and now the entire organization is using the videos from 12U-18U .

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Hope the way I posted this didn't come across as preachy. I was just throwing out the question.

There have been times when I've told my daughter that I disagree w/ the coach. It's almost always something concerning hitting mechanics. If a coach tells her that her arms should be straight at contact, I'm going to disagree w/ that just because I think you can cause damage that's hard to fix in a kid's swing if you tell them certain 'wrong' things. But short of that, I'm careful not to offer my dissenting opinion.

As I have always said "I'm not paying $40 for hitting and fielding lessons for a high school coach to change the way she hits" most problems we have had revolves around hitting/bunting. Now if a college coach that my DD wanted to go to, or after she gets in college wants to change the way she plays go for it, shes already made it by then and the coach is paying for it from then on.....

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2013
As I have always said "I'm not paying $40 for hitting and fielding lessons for a high school dcoach to change the way she hits" most problems we have had revolves around hitting/bunting. Now if a college coach that my DD wanted to go to, or after she gets in college wants to change the way she plays go for it, shes already made it by then and the coach is paying for it from then on.....

My thoughts exactly!!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I have found that professional coaches recognize that there may be more the. One way to skin a cat ant often are the I ones who are reluctant to undermine you with their kid.

Sometimes I hate auto correct on my lphone

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
As I have always said "I'm not paying $40 for hitting and fielding lessons for a high school coach to change the way she hits" most problems we have had revolves around hitting/bunting. Now if a college coach that my DD wanted to go to, or after she gets in college wants to change the way she plays go for it, shes already made it by then and the coach is paying for it from then on.....

I know some "high school coaches" who give private lessons. Should they refund their fees?

It's funny sometimes that a parent who doesn't know how to teach hitting believes they are able to qualify or disqualify a hitting instructor.

There are good high school instructors, as well as bad. There are good private instructors, as well as bad. There are good college instructors, as well as bad. There are good students, as well as bad. There are good parents, as well as bad.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

What if the HS coach is right and the guy you are paying $40 to every lesson is wrong? Would it be difficult to admit the guy you are paying is wrong because that might reflect on you, so its easier to decide its the HS coach is wrong?

not saying it is in your case, but there are plenty of instructors who are paid good money who don't know jack about hitting, fielding and pitching. Especially pitching. Every guy with a girl who goes to college all of a sudden becomes a pitching guru.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl