Tell me theorys on bunting....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
You'll get tons of different answers, replies, and scenarios with a loaded question like that. Teams / coaches that don't bunt, or don't know how to bunt in the right situations will lose a lot of close, late inning games!

A coach who really knows his players and can read the other teams defense can wreck havoc on other teams, and it's pretty fun to watch! Completely different game than baseball. I've been picked apart from small ball, it's one of the best coaching / teaching moments a team can experience, gives a whole new outlook on the next practice!

Oct 14, 2019
I like bunting for hits. Don’t like sac bunt to move runner from first to second. Would rather steal. Sac bunt maybe OK to move runner from 2nd to 3rd with no outs, or to try to score runner from 3rd.

Jun 11, 2013
I'm not a big fan of a lot of sacrifice bunts but it is really nice to know you can get one down when you need it. At younger ages you sometimes are just getting blown away by a pitcher and it's a way to at least make them get you out.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Bunting because “the defense might not be looking for it” = just plain dumb.

Agreed. It's dumb because in that case, you're just guessing and hoping. That's different than if you as a coach actually see something in the defense that indicates they aren't looking for it (corners playing back, a catcher being lazy, a pitcher who doesn't move well, etc.)

Mar 22, 2010
We have a coach who would never bunt particularly in showcases unless it was an elimination game and it was necessary. Of course, slappers can do what they want but his point was that coaches are not coming to see girls bunt.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
We have a coach who would never bunt particularly in showcases unless it was an elimination game and it was necessary. Of course, slappers can do what they want but his point was that coaches are not coming to see girls bunt.
Depending on what they're looking for. They might be looking at the defense and they might be looking at the pitcher, but they're certainly not looking to watch batters strike out! 😎

Just a little perspective that in showcases sometimes is the only place where lesser talent teams play extremely talented teams.
Got to put the ball in play!

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Last tournament our coach was calling bunts every inning.......no reason in my eyes. Runner at first, two outs.....bunt. Nobody on base, two outs...bunt. Ive always thought of a bunt as a sacrifice, to sacrifice an out to move a runner. But what good is it with two outs in any situation. 14U, 16U level......what am I missing here? Let me know your thoughts, please!

I would need to be there. Bunting depends upon the situation, the batter, the pitcher, the defensive alignment, etc. It could be a stupid coach, or it might not be a stupid coach.

E.g.: At those age levels, if the corners play behind the bag, a batter with good bunting skill and decent speed can get on base more than 60% of the time. If the batter has good speed, it is almost a certainty for her to reach 1B.

If the batters are striking out against an overpowering pitcher, why not? Put the ball on the ground and see if the defense will make a mistake.

Finally, players need to bunt during "normal" games so they can bunt during "the big game".

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Ive always thought of a bunt as a sacrifice, to sacrifice an out to move a runner.
Ohhhh hmmmmm???
What made that impression
Only a sacrifice?

As a batter I've always thought of small ball as a handy tool that I could use to be disruptive.
LOL is that a usable word for softball...disruptive...🤔🤫🤭

And I like mixing in a fakey bunt for when I actually draw the bat back and just crush the ball at players that are creeping in...
that's fun too 😇

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad