TB Rays pull off hidden ball trick against Dodgers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 12, 2012
On the bleachers
Not softball, but I thought this was a creative way to manufacture an out. It was funny listening to the commentators try to figure out what happened and why Uribe was out.
[video=youtube_share;DsHJ5_UbYfk]http://youtu.be/DsHJ5_UbYfk[/video]

May 24, 2013
So Cal
As I understand it, Longoria tries to pull this off a few times every season. This time, it worked. Is it "bush", maybe. Is it funny, definitely.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
They didn't put much effort into "hiding" the ball. Hard to understand how the neither the runner or base coach didn't see the ball get tossed over.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
They didn't put much effort into "hiding" the ball. Hard to understand how the neither the runner or base coach didn't see the ball get tossed over.

In the video, I notice Uribe is focused on adjusting something on his leg. This is where the 3B coach should be watching the ball, but he's also looking at Uribe's leg, and that's when the ball gets behind them. Uribe momentarily lifts his foot off the bag to reposition himself and that's when Longoria tags him for the out. That's all on the 3B coach (Wallach). It was dumb to pull that move in that game, as now EVERYONE will be watching him for that and they were losing by a lot, so saving that one possible run didn't help them any, and it was only the 2nd out of the inning. I would think you'd want to keep that in your back pocket for a situation where you have 2 outs and the tying/winning run is on 3rd.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Dave Bergman former MLB first baseman with the Tigers pulled the hidden ball trick on the throw over for the pitcher. He would fake throwing it back. He got the same guy twice In about 2 weeks

May 7, 2008
Tucson
As the 3rd base coach, it is his responsibility to know where the ball is. I have seen it mostly tried at first base, but as a coach I would be saying "the ball is here."

Jun 22, 2008
The pitcher not being on the mound should be a dead giveway. Its agains the rules for the pitcher to be on the mound without the ball.

Aug 3, 2013
i beleive you can be on the mound without the ball....you cant be on the rubber without the ball....

Last edited: