Coach saying it's time to leave

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Tryout season started yesterday. We attended DD’s #1 team choice. Some parents knew she was leaving and had apparently been talking her up to the HC over the past month. Unbeknownst to us he ended up scouting her over the previous few tournaments. He only had a couple holes to fill but offered her a spot at the end of the tryout. Said she was top of his list already but he wanted to see how she worked at the tryout not knowing he was interested.

We still have a couple more tryouts we will attend. But she wants to play on this team. So these will be more for experience than anything else. She’s already excited and we’re looking forward to Fall and next year. This should be a program she can stay with for the next few years and play with girls her level and better.
I don't understand. Your DD got offered from her/your #1 choice of teams and yet still attending other tryouts? Why?

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Be careful, as the #1 coach may not take too kindly y'alls "tire kickin'" other teams after he did all that work. Just sayin'.

100% valid point. We’ve made the commitment to the team already. And I let the coach know what we were doing. He wasn’t concerned.

I guess I didn’t see it as tire kicking knowing we made the commitment. But, I can see how it could be viewed that way. May reconsider it.

Edit: Did reconsider and talked it over with DD’s previous coach. He recommended maybe not doing additional tryouts if we’ve committed. Better to not leave any doubt. So we’ll hold off any further.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
100% valid point. We’ve made the commitment to the team already. And I let the coach know what we were doing. He wasn’t concerned.

I guess I didn’t see it as tire kicking knowing we made the commitment. But, I can see how it could be viewed that way. May reconsider it.

Edit: Did reconsider and talked it over with DD’s previous coach. He recommended maybe not doing additional tryouts if we’ve committed. Better to not leave any doubt. So we’ll hold off any further.

Good thinking.

I'm usually not too pleased when a girl committed to another team attends my tryout - just wastes my time and the time of the girls wanting to be on my team. If you tell them your thoughts before-hand, it could be just fine. I agree that tryouts are good experience and it's good to get to know other coaches and have them know your girl.

Softball is a ridiculously small world. If a girl I know tries out I hear about it before the tryout itself is even half way over. :p

Picking up is fun, but it doesn't happen all that often. I think we did it twice all year. It sounds like a great idea but sometimes a weekend off is really what's needed. Your team should keep you plenty busy.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Picking up is fun, but it doesn't happen all that often. I think we did it twice all year. It sounds like a great idea but sometimes a weekend off is really what's needed. Your team should keep you plenty busy.

We thought more about that too. All in all there will likely be less pickups she'll look for unless there's some crazy break in the schedule. Between practices, games, and filling-in DD ended up doing 5-days a week softball March through June. She was beat up and burnt out. Next year we said we'd avoid doing that again.

Oct 4, 2018
We really only pick-up with her best friend's team. It's a nice change and gives them time together.

Oct 12, 2020
My older DD just barely made her team and spent the fall batting 10th or not at all, and only playing about half the innings in the field. She asked me for help (which she hates to do) and 6 months later she's batting 4th and starting at 3B and C. It's really, really awesome to see them work hard for a starting position. Many won't do it, and on B teams (like she is on) you can easily pass half the girls with hard work and dedication. She's such a better player than she was a year ago.
Good to hear this, Drew. Given my DD is in a similar position, this is heartening.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802