OFF Topic Dangerous Rec Baseball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2019
I don't think pitching at that age is too bad. We had half coach pitch/half kid pitch at that age 35+ years ago. As long as you are not overusing the kid. The whole Tommy John surgery epidemic thing is a complicated matter imo. I think part of it has to do with kids being able to throw so hard at such a young age now (due to a number of things) but their still maturing bodies (e.g. ligaments) not being able to withstand the forces that are incurred by throwing so hard. Roger Clemens barely touched 90 when he got out of HS..
We did a lot of stuff 35+ years ago that we don't do these days cause we know better. 2 hour practice with a single water break cause it makes you tougher etc. We also have a lot more kids specializing in a sport, so instead of playing baseball in the spring/summer then spending the next 8-9 months doing some other sport they are just being over used. I just think with what we know now that pitching should start later (I only have DDs so I'm glad I don't have that problem)

TJ surgery is become a status symbol it seems in a lot of circles.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Doesn't sound like an issue of players playing at the correct level, but rather how advanced/difficult that you want to make 8U in a particular rec league. The primary goal should not be getting players ready for the next level, but making the current level as enjoyable as possible so they'll want to keep playing, IMO. But, of course, if you're not ready for the next level, then the next level won't be fun, so there's always that balance that a rec league must find. Can't say whether your league made the right decision. But baseball, as well as softball, is not fun when the opposing pitchers are either too good or too bad to hit.

May 16, 2016
One of our kids was hit in the head so hard it took him to the ground. If his face had been turned I don't even want to think about what would have happened.

If you are worried about getting hit in the face, man up, and get you kid a cage for their batting helmet. No, not one of those stupid jaw guards, a full cage.

Easton OSFM Natural Baseball/Softball Facemask

1623252789067.png

Jul 14, 2018
This wild discrepancy in skill level is very common in 8U through 12U. There will always be kids who mature faster and have a big physical advantage over their peers. As the OP is one year removed from tee ball, my best advice is get used to it, you’ll see a lot of it.

You could make the argument that this particular kid should be playing up, but from his parents perspective they probably realize that he’s only eight and is better off pitching occasionally rather than taking on the workload that awaits him in 10U too early. Or maybe they just want to brag on Facebook about junior’s latest no-hitter.

True story: a good friend has a kid who was always much bigger than his peers. They started bringing a copy of his birth certificate to games in little league because someone would always object. He’s a pitcher at Arkansas now.

Here’s a handy chart of average baseball velocities by age for those (like me) who have no idea. The numbers really jump from year to year.

7a19fa08f5ff50544fb1511762147c49.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 6, 2015
interesting question this brings up, should BB and SB put in a weight and/or height maximum in each age bracket as well at rec levels. FB does (or at least did) this just to stop that super physically mature 11 yr old from planting a behind the physical curve (developmentally) three feet deep in the grass.

Jul 5, 2016
interesting question this brings up, should BB and SB put in a weight and/or height maximum in each age bracket as well at rec levels. FB does (or at least did) this just to stop that super physically mature 11 yr old from planting a behind the physical curve (developmentally) three feet deep in the grass.

I think parents and coaches need to use common sense. In softball/baseball, a large player isn't necessarily the best player. I suppose the same is true of football, but then again, that is a contact sport.

May 27, 2013
In our LL, cages were required at that age and they also used the “soft” baseballs.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
All the coaches agreed I guess. We thought it was still coach pitch until we showed up at our first game.

We have a two year system so we have kids with summer birthdays that are still 6yrs old getting absolutely terrified. I highly doubt some of these kids will ever want to play again after this experience.
Yikes!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478