2 years later-Dirt Therapy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
It's hard to believe this happened 2 years ago. Can y'all remember what you were going through in Summer of 2020??? Everyone was told to stay home, virtually no softball in many parts of the country. College kids were told to go home in March. HS seasons grinded to a halt. Zoom calls became a thing. Against local authorities, a local coach made a call out to college players in the area to see if they wanted to get some workouts in and guess what? They came! 4 Sundays at 4pm at a practice field South of Houston.

The Girls of Summer. Players from D1, D2, D3 and some not yet in college showed up to get some work in, and really just to be around other like minded ladies. Watching them drive up in a dusty field, exiting their vehicles, extracting their gear from the trunk. A smile and a wave to old friends. Hugs for some that hadn't seen each other in years. Some have never played with each other, but most have shared the same fields at one time or another in their softball careers. Warming up in the hot sun. Sweat pouring from their brows as they start to throw. Pitchers teaming up catchers in the bull pen area. The sound of the mitts popping. It was nothing like a TB practice when they were younger. It was low key and relaxed. They did not rush, but they were rusty. They knew what to do. They have been doing this their whole lives, but it was different this time. Was there pressure? No and yes! They pretended that it didn't matter if they didn't make the throw, the pitch or the hit. It mattered. They wanted to show off and prove to the other players that they belong on this field. These are the girls that have made it to the top or the END of Softball after all those years, all those tourneys, all the time they spent practicing and playing, sweat soaked gear, smelly batting gloves, the tears, the blood and the laughs. They smile as they grit their teeth when making the throw across the diamond. The pitch comes in and a swing of the bat. The ball flies Over the make shift temporary fence into the dusty parking lot nestling itself under the shade of one of the players cars. The end is near as the coaches call the players into the circle, they are worn out, but it felt good. Coach asks. Do y'all want to try to do this again? They did it another 3 Sundays. Other players came to see what this was all about. This was Dirt Therapy and there was no substitution.

In a few months they will make the journey back to their schools, and when they get on the field again, it won't be the same as it was in Summer of 2020...it never will be.

2 years later-Some graduated, some transferred schools, some are close to graduation, some in grad school, some in the middle of their summer internships.

Colleges represented in this pic:
OU
Arizona
Ole Miss
ULL
UT*
Dartmouth
TSU
Texas Tech
Texas State
UIW
UT-Tyler
UT Dallas
*not pictured

summer 2020.jpg

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Great write up and great example of the drive these athletes have and the passion they feel for the game. As graduating High Schoolers and incoming college Freshmen 2020 was an unbelievable mess...trying to bond with new teammates over Zoom chats could only go so far.

My DD's have tried to recruit other college players to get together and play over the summer months but there just hasn't been many in the area that were interested. They have collected a few former TB and HS teammates but it's limited. My DD's as a Pitcher and Catcher usually don't get much live hitting or other positional time. They have enjoyed being Assistant Coaches on the HS team (Fall sport in our state) the last couple of years and it gets them out on the diamond but obviously the focus is different. I wish there were more opportunities for "older" players to stay sharp over the summer months. Good for those TX girls!!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Great write up and great example of the drive these athletes have and the passion they feel for the game. As graduating High Schoolers and incoming college Freshmen 2020 was an unbelievable mess...trying to bond with new teammates over Zoom chats could only go so far.

My DD's have tried to recruit other college players to get together and play over the summer months but there just hasn't been many in the area that were interested. They have collected a few former TB and HS teammates but it's limited. My DD's as a Pitcher and Catcher usually don't get much live hitting or other positional time. They have enjoyed being Assistant Coaches on the HS team (Fall sport in our state) the last couple of years and it gets them out on the diamond but obviously the focus is different. I wish there were more opportunities for "older" players to stay sharp over the summer months. Good for those TX girls!!
DD has a teammate playing in the FGCL this summer. I couldn't justify the expense of sending my kid to Florida especially since she is gonna make $8K with her summer internship.

We were supposed to have a mini round robin with college players a few weeks ago, but it was cancelled b/c of the one rain shower we had in the last 1 month!

Jun 8, 2016
Cliff notes version? I cannot justify spending the time to read that when I could have read a textbook on Lie Groups in the same time 😂

Just kidding, good read but man some of you are sappy SOBs 😝

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Cliff notes version? I cannot justify spending the time to read that when I could have read a textbook on Lie Groups in the same time 😂

Just kidding, good read but man some of you are sappy SOBs 😝
I once was cold hearted and had the heart of stone like yourself. You haven't gone through the terrible HS years when your kid metamorphizes into a dumb rear turd then goes off to college and comes back a different person for the better. Now that I can sit back and share an adult beverage with her, and can actually have rational conversations with this person you tend to soften up a bit. During some of those years it was prison rules and anything goes! You gotta be hard!

Jun 8, 2016
I once was cold hearted and had the heart of stone like yourself. You haven't gone through the terrible HS years when your kid metamorphizes into a dumb rear turd then goes off to college and comes back a different person for the better. Now that I can sit back and share an adult beverage with her, and can actually have rational conversations with this person you tend to soften up a bit. During some of those years it was prison rules and anything goes! You gotta be hard!
Relief is the dominant emotion in my life..Oh and my kid is advanced, she is already a turd most of the time.

May 27, 2022
Relief is the dominant emotion in my life..Oh and my kid is advanced, she is already a turd most of the time.
The relationship between my DD and me was 'fixed' the fall of her Sophomore year on a TB road trip. Spent 2 nights in a hotel for 1 game (while the rest were cancelled for rain). Terrible weekend for SB, BUT the forced together down time we had worked miracles for our relationship. Even after 7 years, my wife (who wasn't with us) still brings it up as a turning point for us.

Jun 8, 2016
The relationship between my DD and me was 'fixed' the fall of her Sophomore year on a TB road trip. Spent 2 nights in a hotel for 1 game (while the rest were cancelled for rain). Terrible weekend for SB, BUT the forced together down time we had worked miracles for our relationship. Even after 7 years, my wife (who wasn't with us) still brings it up as a turning point for us.
My DD has the unfortunate circumstance of having two type A personality parents whereas she doesn't seem to be wired that way. That and being in the early stages of puberty (along with the DW having her own "hormonal issues" at 46) make for some real "fun" times at home.. :cautious:

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
My DD has the unfortunate circumstance of having two type A personality parents whereas she doesn't seem to be wired that way. That and being in the early stages of puberty (along with the DW having her own "hormonal issues" at 46) make for some real "fun" times at home.. :cautious:
At least you have a son at home. I had to male dogs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles