Tagging Up On Foul Fly Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2014
The problem with that (with less than two outs) is that you're going to miss getting some base advances on caught foul fly balls.

I haven't coached at a level where you expect anyone to actually catch a foul fly ball, so trying to teach the difference between tagging on a foul ball and going halfway on a fair ball is totally pointless. I'm just happy when they don't take off running full speed on a ball in the air with less than two outs :)

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Point one - Speaking ASA and the majority of rule sets, there is no such animal as a foul fly ball. Either it is a fly ball or a bounding/ground ball.

All fly balls should be handled the same by offense. IMO, that pretty much is the entire conversation.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
I agree, but you often see in the coaching literature that if the ball is a foul fly ball, regardless of the outs, they tag up just so they are use to always tagging up on a foul fly ball. I don't agree with that thinking. With two outs and a fly ball I don't want them thinking, "Is it
fair or foul?" I think should should be sprinting forward. It's hard enough to get some of them to do that anyway.

I would argue that literature is wrong... 2 outs fly ball you are running doesnt matter if its foul or fair - if foul and dropped you get sent back, if foul and caught it doesnt matter - you have nothing to lose except missing chance to advance... I think the "fly balls are fly balls and they should be played the same regardless of fair/foul" is a better way to look at it as indicated above

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Farmboydrose