Swinging down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
What exactly is it that TM teaches that keeps one from getting the COG forward before swinging? I agree HE doesn't..
He teaches "one size fits all", or maybe even better, "If all you have is a hammer...everything looks like a nail".

His instruction was formulated from trying to copy Bonds, and nothing else. While he came close to copying Bonds on the surface, he missed what was happening under it.

From there, it was simply him trying to pound a square peg into a round hole...with a bigger and bigger hammer needed when folks began seeing that not everyone has the same style as Bonds, and started calling him on it when nobody "matched" according to him unless you agreed, praised, and patted him on the head.

As mentioned earlier, not all of his stuff is good or bad, just another way of teaching certain concepts of the swing that coaches have been doing long before he came along, and will continue to do when he's gone.

Jun 8, 2016
He teaches "one size fits all", or maybe even better, "If all you have is a hammer...everything looks like a nail".

His instruction was formulated from trying to copy Bonds, and nothing else. While he came close to copying Bonds on the surface, he missed what was happening under it.

From there, it was simply him trying to pound a square peg into a round hole...with a bigger and bigger hammer needed when folks began seeing that not everyone has the same style as Bonds, and started calling him on it when nobody "matched" according to him unless you agreed, praised, and patted him on the head.

As mentioned earlier, not all of his stuff is good or bad, just another way of teaching certain concepts of the swing that coaches have been doing long before he came along, and will continue to do when he's gone.
Right, I am well aware of his “one size fits all” approach (along with the origin of “his methods”) which explains why if a kid is not able to move out properly, they stay that way since it isn’t something he focuses on (at least it seems that way).

However my question was if there was anything that he does teach which causes players to get stuck on their backside, which was being discussed. I don’t think concentrating on “one leggedness” , at least how I interpret it, necessarily precludes a balanced move out but perhaps if interpreted incorrectly by the student it could 🤷🏽‍♂️

Not a big deal, don’t really care if the answer is yes or no..😂…was just trying to drum up some discussion since I have been accused of contributing nothing of use on here 😉

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
Right, I am well aware of his “one size fits all” approach (along with the origin of “his methods”) which explains why if a kid is not able to move out properly, they stay that way since it isn’t something he focuses on (at least it seems that way).

However my question was if there was anything that he does teach which causes players to get stuck on their backside, which was being discussed. I don’t think concentrating on “one leggedness” , at least how I interpret it, necessarily precludes a balanced move out but perhaps if interpreted incorrectly by the student it could 🤷🏽‍♂️

Not a big deal, don’t really care if the answer is yes or no..😂…was just trying to drum up some discussion since I have been accused of contributing nothing of use on here 😉
It's indirectly his interpretation of "one-leggedness". If you've ever seen his demo of how he thinks the hip socket works in the swing where he glides his top hand over the top of the fist of his other hand in a circular motion...that's his downfall, because that's not how the rear hip works. Doing it that way on "one-leg" tips the hitter's weight behind his COG, and never allows it to be moved forward, and everything just spins above and below it.

If he would have ever allowed the weight to transfer forward some before the swing to get some of that weight off the rear leg, he'd have been closer to the HL swing, and the rest of the "swing shifts the weight" process. Unfortunately (for him), his vehement "one-leggedness" and "shift and swing" theory gets him and his hitters stuck on their backside w/o ever being able to actually have the swing shift their weight forward. JMO...OMMV

Jun 8, 2016
It's indirectly his interpretation of "one-leggedness". If you've ever seen his demo of how he thinks the hip socket works in the swing where he glides his top hand over the top of the fist of his other hand in a circular motion...that's his downfall, because that's not how the rear hip works. Doing it that way on "one-leg" tips the hitter's weight behind his COG, and never allows it to be moved forward, and everything just spins above and below it.
Makes sense and for (stick figure..) illustration purposes (Fig. c)...

QdyfSk2.jpg

although I would argue that what you are describing is what he calls "creating a corner" vs his idea of 1-leggedness (not getting much pressure on the front foot until launch)..but he would probably say they are connected so..;)

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

Grinddddiiinggg

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

If he would have ever allowed the weight to transfer forward some before the swing to get some of that weight off the rear leg, he'd have been closer to the HL swing, and the rest of the "swing shifts the weight" process. Unfortunately (for him), his vehement "one-leggedness" and "shift and swing" theory gets him and his hitters stuck on their backside w/o ever being able to actually have the swing shift their weight forward. JMO...OMMV
That’s not even remotely close to what he is explaining with the back hip/femur.

And no again on weight shift.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
No he doesn’t teach one size fits all. He starts them off with a tighter sequence, Bregman, and goes from there. If all you have is slop and that’s all you’ve known, he takes away the slop….. In other words A person must do what feels wrong, in order to be right.

You guys think you know what Richard teaches, but you don’t.

Oct 2, 2017
@clemenslee1

I think you could do the Bonds hitch as well for feel. It just needs to happen in order. Back leg stability then hands working down. The body should move forward as the hands drop all the way down. Have intent w the knee.. release in the same order.. back knee then hands.

The hands just gotta be working away while the hips get forward. That tightens the knee.
Essentially Hips before hands

Oct 2, 2017
Makes sense and for (stick figure..) illustration purposes (Fig. c)...

QdyfSk2.jpg

although I would argue that what you are describing is what he calls "creating a corner" vs his idea of 1-leggedness (not getting much pressure on the front foot until launch)..but he would probably say they are connected so..;)
I think I would disagree with your stick figure C.

Show in this clip, Notice the lower half in blue moves ahead (Whether by coil or some other means) of the upper half. Where would you say the center of gravity is? Her center which I am assuming is the bb moved with the lower half. In my mind it would not be the figure C. Just a thought

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles