Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
You are saying his whole swing is a 'loop'?

Yep !! He lacks any type of barrel control (avg 197).. I like your getting on plane idea !! It's why these guys speak "down to". They are attempting to hit the ball out front where they can see it and control contact.

JztfOzz.gif

iUrHOPk.gif

FT4Qktc.gif

May 12, 2016
Is 'un-tipping' the same as planing/or getting the barrel on plane early?
I believe it sets direction. I don't know if you recall the argument W=w and I had about posture, I now understand what he means by hands setting posture. I don't agree with all aspects but I certainly can understand where he's coming from. Here's the way I see it;

Some hitters start their forward move with the barrel in front of their head(towards home plate). During their forward move they adjust (un tip) the barrel so at heel plat they can take their hands to the ball... of course this is generally down because that's where the strike zone is. "Down to" is relative to pitch location. Some hitters un-tip more than others (compare Vladdy to George Brett). I believe most hitters who un-tip get the barrel in position to follow the hands. If it's a high pitch the plane will be flatter, if low, more "down to".

May 12, 2016
Yep. I agree with you. However, the phase that you are referring to as "where the barrel really starts to accelerate" is what I would refer to as TTB. The first clip is what I would refer to as a running start.
Barrel turns every AB... I just don't believe there is a conscious effort to turn it, nor do I believe there needs to be one

May 12, 2016
Brett inverse un-tipping the barrel... setting direction but because he starts flat, it's opposite of what we see from Vladdy. Getting the hands in position to be direct to the ball
gif (57).gif

May 21, 2018
Barrel turns every AB... I just don't believe there is a conscious effort to turn it, nor do I believe there needs to be one
Then how would it turn? The barrel is connected to your arms through your hands obviously, but your arms can work independently from your torso and lower body. Regardless of your lower body position, your leverage or anything else, your arms are capable of doing all sorts of things. Hence my golf swing.

May 12, 2016
Then how would it turn? The barrel is connected to your arms through your hands obviously, but your arms can work independently from your torso and lower body. Regardless of your lower body position, your leverage or anything else, your arms are capable of doing all sorts of things. Hence my golf swing.
I don't understand your question... My DD was hitting line drives when she was 5 years old . The barrel turned, I did not teach her to consciously turn it.. it wasn't necessary.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Yep !! He lacks any type of barrel control (avg 197).. I like your getting on plane idea !! It's why these guys speak "down to". They are attempting to hit the ball out front where they can see it and control contact.

JztfOzz.gif

iUrHOPk.gif

FT4Qktc.gif
Would this make Ted Williams swing 'loopy'?

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I don't understand your question... My DD was hitting line drives when she was 5 years old . The barrel turned, I did not teach her to consciously turn it.. it wasn't necessary.
I think this is where a lot of arguments end up, with the definition of turn. The barrel goes around an axis. I think that the problem with the hitting term 'turn' is that most assume the turn has to happen around a stationary axis, not a moving axis. The hands are moving forward in space and yes the barrel turns. To what degree and how quickly and how the hands interact with the barrel turn is the key.

Do we need a quick turn around a tight pivot axis? OR do we want one where some lag is created and the turn happens a bit later as the axis of the turn happens farther towards the ball.

So sure, every swing turns, but i think just by saying that you are not being specific enough to define how and when it turns. And yes, i do believe it is important to know when and how because my DD does not know. I don't know. Which is why i am on these god forsaken forums trying to learn!! 🤣

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez