Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2018
Yea, its floating (un-tipping )until the direction is changed (NOT Snapping it back)..

ZazYtGE.gif

fGqpDz4.gif
From now on I will say "un-tip" the barrel.

Oct 2, 2017
What am I missing, why did you use Donald who's the exact opposite of the "swing down" demo crew poster kids? He demos the Bonds, and et. al "tomahawk" chop, and says that that's the "thing I want you to stay away from"...

So how are you assimilating that to the Bonds swing and words wrt to it?

Oh, and to this....

Sure they are, you've just tuned some of them out, and only hear what you want to hear...

I would think a current professional, and former MVP who can break down, and tell you exactly why he does what he says and does, and whose game time video actually shows that he does what he says he does, might not be a bad person to listen to when it's all said and done. 🤷‍♂️

Oct 2, 2017
For the record... I am not against anything, except those who say all those Pros who say down to are idiots, they do not know what they are talking about... the conversation evolves from that to how can the pros be down to, but still result in the barrel path we see
Gotcha, thanks

May 12, 2016
From now on I will say "un-tip" the barrel.
May pros un-tip the barrel.. it depends where the barrel is when they get FYB.. and how much they un-tip depends on pitch location. I don't see laying the barrel on your shoulder the same thing as snapping it rearward. Un-tipping <> TTB IMO, even JD says "it's not a power move", he makes that clear in his interview

Reactions: TDS
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I think i have been on this forum too long, i am kinda understanding what you are saying 🤣. My thought was his hands get sooo far back. You explain it to stabilize the obliques. I guess however it needs to be 'felt' to get done. I think what you are saying is don't move the hands back so far.

From that point the gif shows how it is a cross sectional swing down as far back hands at shoulder go down to and in front of waist. The extension of the hands at contact seems too far extended if that makes sense. The hands are outracing the torso from go which makes the swing look very armsy. As well that they are going down away from the shoulders and not at any time seeming to be on the same plane as the shoulders.

I think you would lose the outraced / armsy swing with what @W=W says as well as trying to get into a better leveraged posture that will help bring the tilt needed to bring hands around with the shoulders and eliminate the long swing.

It is definitely a 'down to' swing. I am going thru my own journey for sure, so not trying to throw stones, just observations.

View attachment 23127
View attachment 23128

there is such a thing as too much inward turn. however much you turn relates to how much ‘turn’ is necessary to turn back through, and how quickly you can activate that turn is as important in the grand scheme.

edit: its just really creating an anchor point to stretch from early.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
My conclusion if anyone cares that I have come to after listening to pros talk and swinging the bat myself, is that "Down to" for the pro's is completely about bat control more than anything else. IMO

Trying to control the barrel by maintaining proper bat forearm angles and thinking down to. While not even close to great, (Very amature) What I think it shows though is that you will not lack "Depth", It doesn't automatically produce "Push", It doesn't automatically produce a "Down through" swing. Take what you want from it.

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
This is turning forcing a loop of the barrel.

2AkuNEZ.gif

8cuVuk9.gif
ARe you saying the loop is in the second GIF? That his barrel starts more vertical and he has to bring into plane? Bonds seems to get his barrel behind his head before he 'launches'. So would you say hitters have to loop if they don't plane the barrel before launch?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
May pros un-tip the barrel.. it depends where the barrel is when they get FYB.. and how much they un-tip depends on pitch location. I don't see laying the barrel on your shoulder the same thing as snapping it rearward. Un-tipping <> TTB IMO, even JD says "it's not a power move", he makes that clear in his interview

Who said it was a power move?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
ARe you saying the loop is in the second GIF? That his barrel starts more vertical and he has to bring into plane? Bonds seems to get his barrel behind his head before he 'launches'. So would you say hitters have to loop if they don't plane the barrel before launch?

What is "plane the barrel before launch" ? Are you saying the un-tipping/barrel floating ?

This is his UFA Hand/arm action that sets up the loop for his actual swing.

2AkuNEZ.gif

8cuVuk9.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michellehopkins80