Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Would this make Ted Williams swing 'loopy'?

Ted's did get loopy (not the same arm hand actions as Sano) at times and caused him to roll over balls.

ZNKRWS1.gif

May 21, 2018
I don't understand your question... My DD was hitting line drives when she was 5 years old . The barrel turned, I did not teach her to consciously turn it.. it wasn't necessary.
That's cool, my daughter wasn't. She didn't turn the barrel. She swung with straight arms. Never missed, but never hit the ball past the pitcher. She had to be taught to rotate the forearms with her core to slot the swing.

Similar to golf, some people pick up a club and immediately swing on plane, others don't. My natural tendency is to swing outside in. I had to be taught to slot the elbow to get the club on plane.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Ted's did get loopy (not the same arm hand actions as Sano) at times and caused him to roll over balls.

ZNKRWS1.gif
So someone had a gif of DDRODD's DD. He showed us her progression from her prior swing. I never understood it and am getting it now. I believe though that she has a more vertical barrel. My DD hits more consistent with a more vertical barrel. I think it is more of a sequencing issue allowing her hands to drop but in any case, is it possible to start/launch out of plane and still be efficiently direct to the ball? I believe that is the case with my DD because it requires the torque on the barrel. Actively. Where i think a Brett swing needs less of it. just my thoughts.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
So someone had a gif of DDRODD's DD. He showed us her progression from her prior swing. I never understood it and am getting it now. I believe though that she has a more vertical barrel. My DD hits more consistent with a more vertical barrel. I think it is more of a sequencing issue allowing her hands to drop but in any case, is it possible to start/launch out of plane and still be efficiently direct to the ball? I believe that is the case with my DD because it requires the torque on the barrel. Actively. Where i think a Brett swing needs less of it. just my thoughts.

I believe DDRODD's daughter allowed her hands arms to be free/float and allow the middle to whip the barrel while the legs acted as anchors.

GdwwqQT.gif

vNHlTGK.gif

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I believe DDRODD's daughter allowed her hands arms to be free/float and allow the middle to whip the barrel while the legs acted as anchors.

GdwwqQT.gif

vNHlTGK.gif
thanks! I understand what you are saying but i was/am more concerned with where the hands and barrel are before launch vs what is driving the swing. she also does look to 'un-tip' or plane the barrel before launch. Moreso in the first gif. maybe a different pitch in the second required her free hands to act earlier.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I am interested in what the aren't saying as well, but more interested in what they ARE saying.

They are saying;
Down to

They aren't saying;
TTB

I know every time I mention TTB people get offended or refer back to TM. Regardless what you believe TTB is or any other kind of forced pivot, hand/forearm motion to get the bat on plane asap... "Down to" is the exact opposite as per pro demo.

We all can agree that pros have excellent sequence and posture. Posture and good sequence is an athletic movement IMO, you see it in a lot of sports besides baseball as well. What the hitter does with their hands is fine tuning and isolated, that's why the pros talk about and isolate their hands so much. I can't tell you what isn't important to them, but it's obvious what is, "down to"JMHO

For me, I stopped looking at what they weren't saying, and focused on what they were saying

Julray

Do you think TTB doesn’t involve the barrel working down?

May 21, 2018

GdwwqQT.gif

vNHlTGK.gif
Do you think the aggressive hip turn and straightening of the lead legs adds to her power? She takes a good rip at the ball. I like it.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
At the very end of the first. gif it looks like he is starting to torque the barrel rearward. Yes I agree his hands/arms are working freely up to that point. I don't see anything that would indicate "down to" in the 2nd .gif. Looks to me like he snaps the barrel rearward and uncoils. 3rd .gif he goes down and gets an off speed pitch.

Interesting discussion, but I think I need to give up. I just can't see what you are seeing. Not saying you're wrong, I just don't see it.

The arm back arm or upper arm isn’t moving freely. The hands, barrel and lead arm can move. This is what I pointing out to James on his son’s swing. The back, upper arm, doesn’t move very much because it is engaged with the scap and back.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I just thought it was interesting that you selected that specific phrase; TTB. They also don't talk about posture. They also don't talk about FYB. Does that mean that those things are not important? Of course not. If the only thing we are supposed to focus on is "swing down" it kind of throws those other concepts out the window, doesn't it?

They also don’t talk about posture. 😜

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles