Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Who said it was a power move?
Many gurus and people on this site who teach/believe say you snap it, accelerate it from get go, generate bat speed immediately. Do you believe this is what JD is implying in his video?

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
What is "plane the barrel before launch" ? Are you saying the un-tipping/barrel floating ?

This is his UFA Hand/arm action that sets up the loop for his actual swing.

2AkuNEZ.gif

8cuVuk9.gif
sure untipping i guess. can you tell me where the 'loop' is? Is he ever on plane with the barrel?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Many gurus and people on this site who teach/believe say you snap it, accelerate it from get go, generate bat speed immediately. Do you believe this is what JD is implying in his video?

I will need to review the video again. My belief is that acceleration begins at the point of un-tipping, whether through active or passive methods. Movement = acceleration of some sort. I would rather utilize acceleration to my benefit than to delay the acceleration. Not saying that you promote a delay. I'm just having trouble finding another option. You either accelerate or you don't.

When I get up from my chair and walk to the door, I am accelerating. That acceleration is not what it used to be, but it is still acceleration ;)

Note: "Snap it" is not a phrase I use. At the same time I also wouldn't say "gently wave it".

May 12, 2016
I will need to review the video again. My belief is that acceleration begins at the point of un-tipping, whether through active or passive methods. Movement = acceleration of some sort. I would rather utilize acceleration to my benefit than to delay the acceleration. Not saying that you promote a delay. I'm just having trouble finding another option. You either accelerate or you don't.

When I get up from my chair and walk to the door, I am accelerating. That acceleration is not what it used to be, but it is still acceleration ;)

Note: "Snap it" is not a phrase I use. At the same time I also wouldn't say "gently wave it".
In JD's video he is referring to direction... however do you believe the "main" purpose of un-tipping is for direction or to generate bat speed?

Edit: Furthermore do you believe how much JD tips or un-tips the bat is related to pitch location?

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
In JD's video he is referring to direction... however do you believe the "main" purpose of un-tipping is for direction or to generate bat speed?

Edit: Furthermore do you believe how much JD tips or un-tips the bat is related to pitch location?

I will watch the video again when I get home. However, a "running start", which I believe is what JD is referring to, is primarily for direction. However, since the bat is moving, some acceleration is occurring. Just not the primary purpose of that phase.

May 12, 2016
Vladdy reading the pitch and un-tipping/presetting during forward move
gif (55).gif

@ heel plant and in a leveraged position, "down to" and this is where barrel really starts to accelerate
gif (56).gif

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Vladdy reading the pitch and un-tipping/presetting during forward move
View attachment 23135

@ heel plant and in a leveraged position, "down to" and this is where barrel really starts to accelerate
View attachment 23136

Yep. I agree with you. However, the phase that you are referring to as "where the barrel really starts to accelerate" is what I would refer to as TTB. The first clip is what I would refer to as a running start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45