Strike Zone

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
"You would think they would train an umpire during the clinic on where to position themselves to be able to see the pitch crossing the plate."

The umpire I speak of in this tread hardly got down into position. It was more as if he were umping men's slow-pitch softball. You know... they tend to stand up and sometimes further back. This umpire that I questioned (once) did not get down much at all, though he did position right behind the catcher. I saw his not getting down as being more a lazy issue rather than a physical issue.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
What's interesting is that I simply asked the umpire "Where was it?", as I was calling the pitches. THAT WAS ALL I SAID TO HIM. His response was "Four inches inside.", which I felt was an exaggeration, but I simply moved on with no other words to him throughout the remainder of that game and the entire next game. I get this feeling that would have ripped me a new one for asking such a question. It is hot-head umpires like him that I think punish teams by changing the strike zone when some inquires about anything. Now I don't know that for a fact, but it's a strong gut instinct regarding these types. They seem to come to games with a chip on their shoulders (ax to grind), and all it takes is some simply question from a coach to set them off.

The umpires I've been around know that I'm very mellow with umpires--I hardly ever question a call or the strike zone. However, when I see a problem that is serious to affect the integrity of the game (for both teams), I'm going to say something. And, I don't think it is wrong to.

About Them

Awaiting genuis pills
Aug 30, 2011
Chicago Suburbs
I wonder who get un-nerved more? Parents, coaches or players. I'm guessing it's the first two. I know that I've tried calling balls and strikes from behind the pitcher and absolutely sucked at it. I go out of my way to thank Blue even if I don't agree (if I get consistency, Blue might even get a post-game water). Recently my DD had an 8k/7bb 1 hitter. Between innings I asked about the Plate Ump's calls and she just shook her head no (meaning she wasn't getting what she wanted from him). No complaints from a 13y/o. She told me she needed to adjust and wasn't going to give up on hitting the corners. I make it a point to talk with Pitcher and Catcher between innings about the zone, no need to show displeasure with the calls b/c it won't help the pitcher out in the least.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
About Them,

You said, "I wonder who get un-nerved more? Parents, coaches or players."

Why not also include umpires in that group??? Umpires don't necessarily have to be screaming and yelling to be "un-nerved."

This is not directed at you personally, present at softball games are parents, coaches, players, AND UMPIRES. I don't think we should exclude them when taking about who's getting "un-nerved."

About Them

Awaiting genuis pills
Aug 30, 2011
Chicago Suburbs
I said, "I wonder who get un-nerved more? Parents, coaches or players." I was trying to be nice...almost PC. In most anything there is a "cause" and an "effect". An un-nerved/angry umpire most likely is that way due to a number of external influences: bad food at the concession stand, a pitch that tested the effectiveness of his protective cup, an accident on the way to the game or most likely coaches and parents who think his strike zone blows or little Suzy should have gotten that pitch called for a strike. Personally, I've seen more Parents and Coaches behave improperly than umpires.

Back to topic, Pitchers/Catchers/Batters are not allowed to argue or question balls and strikes so why do Parents and Coaches not play by the same rules. Softball should be played within the lines, then it is pure. Don't confuse pure with perfect. Softball like baseball is perfection due to imperfection. I have had beyond bad umpires. I've had an ump call my DD for an illegal pitch and said she was warned during the previous game (which she didn't pitch). How about bases loaded, winning run on third, full count and a ball fully in the zone (according to catcher) goes for ball 4 in the Utrip World Series (it happened)?

At the end of the day all I want is for my DD to learn patience, honor, and respect. Something that Parents and Coaches should think about the next time time they open their collective pie-hole to say anything other than "nice job". It's not about us, it's about them. If it's about them, then why are we the ones complaining?

PS. this is not directed at you (Doug) personally.

Last edited by a moderator: