Start of 1st year 12u season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
I don’t see any other way to interpret that. What is your interpretation?

I emphasized ‘IN’ bc he’s letting folks know that it’s during the act of swinging a bat that he means he is balancing his swing through multiple positions. Whatever the pitch calls for.
I think he probable does mean get to your spot as well. But thats just a general statement. I don't have a clue what Barry himself means by that. Or how Barry defines balance. The "IN" just seems that he is meaning hitting in general. Not that there is some hidden meaning there.

Oct 2, 2017
‘IT’ is the middle oblique coil. Against a stable rear leg. Hip coil just pushes things out of the ground. Oblique coil moves you. Do this drill standing up. See how her hands stay connected to her belly button? Follow her movements and instructions against a stable back leg.

View attachment 26043

You time the foot by hitting w the thought of getting the foot down earlier then later. It’s really a thought of getting it down. Ted said he likes a small stride. Most great hitters match this. Once learned you will understand the feeling.

The launch sequence starts when the foot is going down or the hips go down or forward. It can still be in the air but the stretch has begun. I didn’t say your dd needs to sequence I said that’s she needs to be striding for timing IN sequence. Meaning both apply; front foot timing and the sequence.

You time for outside pitches and adjust or get your foot down early for inside pitches that’s the baseline. There is a time and place to anticipate an inside pitch or an off speed pitch.. Pitch recognition and vision play a big part as well.

When you learn this. The sequence should flow like water. Front toss your dd outside pitches so she can learn what timing late is. Then toss inside pitches every 4th pitch and have her react. Don’t let her know they’re coming. She will get jammed at first but will learn how to adjust her stride to be shorter. You merely have to tell her ‘get the foot down earlier’.

Did I miss anything?
Sounds like a timing nightmare IMO Forget the foot. It will get down when it needs to, Especailly if the player has worked on the beginning phase sequence. Time the ball. Just like throwing, you don't time when your foot gets down, if you need to get the ball off quicker or slower. It simply gets down without thought. All IMO of course.

Jun 8, 2016
Get your front foot down is a cue and it has been around forever. It was prominent when I was growing up hence it is probably what Barry was referring to. I heard a former pro player around my age tell his DD that during a game when she was getting blown up by a fastball. I used to hear it all the time growing up. Not saying it works for everybody but it is a cue just like the other million cues that may or may not help a player. It probably won't work if a player is not in a good position to hit from when they get their foot down.. ;)

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
To the first sentence yes, it does load during the stride. Which leads to the second portion. Who is teaching to tilt or have "early" scap action?

Look at any of Mikes personal videos. The on around one comes to mind. TM states this action happens before you go to far forward. Nope. It’s the reaction to going forward while staying back. No need to teach it. Just say keep the hands back. Do you see Ortiz tilting early or holding his scap? Rhetorical question.

1657802469970.gif

Edit: @clemenslee1 do you see him get his foot down then swing? Do you see him time the ball?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Look at any of Mikes personal videos. The on around one comes to mind. TM states this action happens before you go to far forward. Nope. It’s the reaction to going forward while staying back. No need to teach it. Just say keep the hands back. Do you see Ortiz tilting early or holding his scap? Rhetorical question.

View attachment 26049

Edit: @clemenslee1 do you see him get his foot down then swing? Do you see him time the ball?
The on and around, I understand it as a happening during the forward move. When done in Isolation yes. It would happen early. Tilting is not something even as TM or Mike or others teach as something that happens early. At least thats not how I interpret what they teach. Its your going on and around as you move forward and tilt when you launch.

Sure, I've been down this road with you before. I don't look at it as he making a conscious effort to make it happen. IMO, its a unconscious thing that happens do to reading the ball as he is going through his beginning phase sequence unconsciously (Because he has rep'd it out so many times)(You can call that getting to your spot if you wish). During this fraction of a second time frame, the eyes read the ball, and the brain said "Yes" which gets the foot down when it needs to. Hopefully that makes sense.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
@clemenslee1 The simple fact that you won’t try it or haven’t tried timing your foot to the ball and already poo poo it let’s me know what I already knew. Your sold on HLP. That’s ok. Just please keep posting on progress etc. here’s one more.

Scap ‘unload’ foot down before he swings. I’m not making this stuff up. It’s right in front of you.

1657803396658.gif

Oct 2, 2017
@clemenslee1 The simple fact that you won’t try it or haven’t tried timing your foot to the ball and already poo poo it let’s me know what I already knew. Your sold on HLP. That’s ok. Just please keep posting on progress etc. here’s one more.

Scap ‘unload’ foot down before he swings. I’m not making this stuff up. It’s right in front of you.

View attachment 26050
Wow, I thought this was a civil discussion that we were having. Just because I don't agree with or have a differing view. You automatically assume I haven't tried something and or am sold down a certain path. What a load of garbage. That's the problem with these hitting discussions. People make to many assumptions. I have always thought that we are not trying to cookie cut how we teach players, including out own DD's.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
But for others sake I will point any flaws that need attention for folks so they have a clear vision of what’s ahead when choosing magic beans to swing a bat.

Oct 2, 2017
But for others sake I will point any flaws that need attention for folks so they have a clear vision of what’s ahead when choosing magic beans to swing a bat.
Got it. So its only a flaw of it doesn't fit "your clear vision" of what's ahead. They just need to choose your magic beans. Got it. Sound like someone else you guys tend harp on that does the same thing.

Heck this went south fast

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Wow, I thought this was a civil discussion that we were having. Just because I don't agree with or have a differing view. You automatically assume I haven't tried something and or am sold down a certain path. What a load of garbage. That's the problem with these hitting discussions. People make to many assumptions. I have always thought that we are not trying to cookie cut how we teach players, including out own DD's.

You says ‘sounds like a timing nightmare’ means you didn’t try and are knocking it. Dont whine CL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy