Sqishing the Bug

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
Another lesson on Squashing The Bug ....

This is exactly the CRAP that was taught to my daughter that has taken the past YEAR to get rid of. Sad to say that there are a lot of volunteer REC ball coaches teaching this at the T-ball level and have no idea the harm they are doing. Most athletic 8 year olds can still hit well with this method, but once they get to 10u girl fastpitch, all the flaws are exposed and good hitters go to crap. It's sad to say that before this site I really had no idea. Education is wonderful!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Posting these gifs in an effort to help.
Watch the rearleg get 'infront' of the rear socket/rear hip.
200sqrr.gif

r0wfua.gif

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Posting these gifs in an effort to help.
Watch the rearleg get 'infront' of the rear socket/rear hip.
r0wfua.gif

RDB giveing you some attention, not paying for it yet... LOL

I know these drills are exasperation's of the swing, and are meant to produce "the Feel for" and I thinking its mostly for the teacher... I'm just wondering on this one... if the kid would turn that turn his front foot, the inside arch towards the plate... heel towards heel, or show the logo... if this was a straight on clip.... If that would engage, or expedite what your trying to show.... I guess you would have to pick up the bat, and give it a feel ??? Knee not soooo high... and squatting down a little more...engaging the back

So you don't think I'm crazy, hears a picture of something alittle closer to what I'm after. Not haveing progressed to trying to feel it for myself yet... so hoping for your help ??? I know it has something to do with HLS...(because of its uniqueness) hoping it can help you convey this backleg/hip thing... :cool:

perfect-circle-albums-hitting-picture4830-bb-r-cut-18.jpg

To follow along with the assumption that the back leg is the catalyst, I can only hypothesize that the reverse turning of the front foot would force focus on the front hip into a more active task and causing the rear to be more passive in allowing the back leg it's (turn, tork, coil ???) ect...

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Bold above ... is that what you see here (below)? It isn't what I see. I see a retention of the tension on inside upper rear leg area as the rear hip is brought forward.

2hq49d0.gif

I have a father of a new youngster on the team that loves squishing the bug, I hope he does not see those videos on the net.

Five frame, thanks for addressing my questions.

if Cabrara is holding his coil, his leg would continue to move with the rear hip, it goes the Opposite way.
So why would not this be the Release of coil?

I can understand the rear hip Pulling the pelvis around, so the Kick drill would then really pull the hip even, uh, better.

now in the clip above, I see almost the exact opposite of this.

The reason I am interested is I have a girl whose foot moves away fro the plate, every swing.
I would like to understand this.
Maybe I should teach her, squish the bug.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I have a father of a new youngster on the team that loves squishing the bug, I hope he does not see those videos on the net.

Five frame, thanks for addressing my questions.

if Cabrara is holding his coil, his leg would continue to move with the rear hip, it goes the Opposite way.
So why would not this be the Release of coil?

I can understand the rear hip Pulling the pelvis around, so the Kick drill would then really pull the hip even, uh, better.

now in the clip above, I see almost the exact opposite of this.

The reason I am interested is I have a girl whose foot moves away fro the plate, every swing.
I would like to understand this.
Maybe I should teach her, squish the bug.

Please highlight the frames in which you see the "rear upper leg" and "rear hip" moving in different directions after coil is established.

It is fine for the rear foot to move away from the plate ... See GIF below ....

kcl47l.gif

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Please highlight the frames in which you see the "rear upper leg" and "rear hip" moving in different directions after coil is established.

It is fine for the rear foot to move away from the plate ... See GIF below ....

kcl47l.gif

The Femur is counter rotating in the hip socket.
You cannot hold the coil and counter rotate the femur.

Pick up your foot with a bent knee, and move it away from the plate.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The Femur is counter rotating in the hip socket.
You cannot hold the coil and counter rotate the femur.

Pick up your foot with a bent knee, and move it away from the plate.

Mann, I'm trying to understand your position.

Let's try to be specific. Instead of using the words "counter rotating", please assign a direction ... for example, "clockwise" or "counter clockwise" for a RH batter. Perhaps that will help me understand your position.

As for the rear foot coming away from the plate .... I gave you an example ... and it is fairly common and it means something about the swing that I don't believe you wish to remove.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl