Sqishing the Bug

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 28, 2012
Mann it's not "hold your coil". It's "keep coiling". Keep coiling means keep tightening the relationship in the rear hip joint by keep driving the rear leg and keep resisting the rear hip.... Here's the key part... Regardless of where in space the overall leg/hip is turning.

There is an adduction component to the inward pressure that will cause the foot to release away from the plate depending on the when the release at the foot happens relative to the overall still coiling leg/hip unit direction.

The more the still coiling leg/hip has been turned by the time the foot releases the more the adduction direction is away from the plate.

Oh snap... Practical cracker jacks for everyone! Forgot where I was.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
nether do I. did you try to replicate the foot moving away from the plate, and hold your coil, turning your pelvis. its not that complicated.

Use the gif I supplied for keeping on track rdbass, and Five.

Mann, in this GIF there is no uncoil through contact.

If you can stick to one GIF, and point out the frames where you see the rear hip uncoiling, then that would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
ACraig_3Bview_pause.gif

RDBASS ... I took a second look.

Perhaps you were pointing out that the rear foot moves away from the plate in this clip as well. Yes ... it does ... good example.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
nether do I. did you try to replicate the foot moving away from the plate, and hold your coil, turning your pelvis. its not that complicated.

Use the gif I supplied for keeping on track rdbass, and Five.

this one, now try it, and hold your coil, you cannot.

Mann, yes ... I can replicate the foot moving away from the plate ... and not surrendering the coil is a big part of that happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 7, 2013
RDBASS ... I took a second look.

Perhaps you were pointing out that the rear foot moves away from the plate in this clip as well. Yes ... it does ... good example.

For what's it worth, DD's first hitting instructor (at a well known D1 school) taught her to "push off the inside of the big toe" as a cue to help her turn the hips. A by-product of this was her back foot would sometimes slip away from the plate very similar to gif's shown above. Would be curious to know what these MLB players think the role of the back foot is and if they actively engage it?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
For what's it worth, DD's first hitting instructor (at a well known D1 school) taught her to "push off the inside of the big toe" as a cue to help her turn the hips. A by-product of this was her back foot would sometimes slip away from the plate very similar to gif's shown above. Would be curious to know what these MLB players think the role of the back foot is and if they actively engage it?

I'm curious on that one, too. I'm currently re-examining my understanding of the role of the rear foot in the lower body movement.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
The rear foot is reactive to the hip coil.

Eric...I think you have to figure out it out somewhat on your own. So step 1 ask Rich for all the answers to all your questions. Tell him you need to understand...outside of his blog, I promise he will do everything to help you understand.

Then the only other back foot thing you will find on the back foot is "the move". Ask swingbuilder to help you with that, and without any messages from mars :D.

Then swing and figure it out...don't waste your time with anything anyone else gets into on the rear foot...the are idiots!

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I will say Eric, make sure you have the rag wring, stretch/coil, scap, barrel turn down first.

You might come to the my conclusion that I don't put a lot of care into what my foot is doing, and don't think anyone can convince me to change the way I am doing it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl