Sprained ankle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
DD has rolled her drive leg ankle while dragging up. Yes back leg. With it being her drive leg what should I be looking for to make sure she is ok to pitch again? She is close to being ready if only playing first but worried about the push and pitching.

Last edited:

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
Depending on the severity of the sprain, it can take several weeks to fully heal to the point where she can play without risk of further damage. That said, no one here is a doctor (or if they are they haven't examined your daughter's ankle), so best advice anyone can give here, other than perhaps sharing their own experience with their own daughter, is to follow your doctor's advice.

Jan 28, 2017
Depending on the severity of the sprain, it can take several weeks to fully heal to the point where she can play without risk of further damage. That said, no one here is a doctor (or if they are they haven't examined your daughter's ankle), so best advice anyone can give here, other than perhaps sharing their own experience with their own daughter, is to follow your doctor's advice.
Yes. Looking for experiences with their daughters. She will pass the normal test to return to play but pitching is different. This is the second time she has rolled it pitching. Weird since it's her drag foot. She has also been out of town for a week and I haven't seen her so kinda guessing how bad. It wasn't horrible but swollen pretty good before she left. Supposed to play this weekend in a showcase and trying to let her coach have a heads up without seeing her.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
It sounds like something that needs to be addressed in slow motion review to see if you can locate a source of the issue to keep it from happening again.

Jan 28, 2017
It sounds like something that needs to be addressed in slow motion review to see if you can locate a source of the issue to keep it from happening again.
First time she did it she stopped in the middle of the pitch and didn't throw it. Can't see anything at all but said she rolled it and hurt. Finished the game and did good. The second time she rolled it after on a warm up pitch. Fell on that one. She takes a little hop and it appeared that she did it when she came down but she thinks she did it before then. Watched both in slow mo. She finished that game also but was obviously not 100%.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Is she doing it on her push-off, that seems like the only time it's bearing any weight or force? There are a variety of braces available, ankle issues are quite common in basketball and braces are used as a preventative.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
It depends on the severity of the sprain and your DDs tolerance for pain. The real risk is reinury which is high with any ankle sprain.

Jun 11, 2012
Not a pitcher but DD rolls her ankle in holes in the OF at least once a season. Now in college the trainer tapes her up for a few weeks but pre college we invested in a sturdy lace up ankle brace

Jan 28, 2017
Is she doing it on her push-off, that seems like the only time it's bearing any weight or force? There are a variety of braces available, ankle issues are quite common in basketball and braces are used as a preventative.
Bought a brace. She said she hurt it on the push both times. I can’t see anything on either during the push. The second time she hurt it, I can see it roll pretty bad on the drag up as the catcher threw down. I think she was getting out of the way of the throw down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom