Something brewing in Cal!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
Midwest is trying to do the same.

99% of kids go to college in the region they are from. Why travel all over the country or at least why do so much of it.
I feel like it's always been possible in the midwest (Chicago especially) to travel or not travel and get what you need done based on your college targets. The Bandits and a small handful travel every weekend to play the best of the best for both recruiting and prepping to play P5. After that there's more than enough exposure for many teams between Chicago, PGF in Crown Point and St. Louis, plus a smart nationals trip. Teams that travel beyond their true needs are pissing money away, IMO. Parents need to be careful. (pre-Covid, anyway...post-, I guess we'll see)

Apr 20, 2015
I feel like it's always been possible in the midwest (Chicago especially) to travel or not travel and get what you need done based on your college targets. The Bandits and a small handful travel every weekend to play the best of the best for both recruiting and prepping to play P5. After that there's more than enough exposure for many teams between Chicago, PGF in Crown Point and St. Louis, plus a smart nationals trip. Teams that travel beyond their true needs are pissing money away, IMO. Parents need to be careful. (pre-Covid, anyway...post-, I guess we'll see)
We play in this area and your statement is very much correct....most Midwest teams do not need to leave the Midwest

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
interesting topic and percentages...of players that stay and play in their own state. is that a guesstimation? 99%?

A lot of players from Calif notice learn about new places like Chicago, Texas, Washington or MidwestEastC. from traveling with sb out of California.
Batch of catchers past few years all went out of State.

Dec 11, 2010
@RichK and @ang2bmd, could not agree more.

Added to the fact that most teams don’t get to play on preferred fields at many far flung locations so it’s really not a good move.

I‘m out of coaching due to a new job and my dd unexpectedly going out of state for college but I fully intended to go to St. Louis I and II back to back. For us, anyone we wanted to see our kids were there, usually both weekends and it’s a pretty short drive. (3 hours). No out of the way satellite fields. Also I felt it hedged our bets against rain, seems like one weekend usually gets bad weather.

Mar 10, 2020
We play in this area and your statement is very much correct....most Midwest teams do not need to leave the Midwest

No need to go out of state from here. Heavy rectuitment hub of so cal. Daughter wanted and is playing out of state. Her tb teammate signed together.

Feb 3, 2016
I'm a willing participant in the HFL. :)

We've all known less fortunate players and if this can give them a chance to play or get discovered without spending more money that's great.

Approximately 2.24 million fastpitch players hit dirt in 2019. Players from 6 year's old to 20 something.

Just trying to put this in context. I know people pay less and more than the min. and max.

Low end $500 per year fee's-1,120,000,000 min
To
High end $1500 per year fee's - 3,360,000,000 max
Only counting club fee's above. No equipment sales.

So the cash value for fastpitch is between 1B to 3B up for grabs each year.

Every athlete has a monetary value.

Add up all the bats, gloves, clinics, club fee's, league fee's, and gate fee's. (Gas money & food too!)

Every time I hear the word athlete I just substitute it with money.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
Some discussion about HFL Juniors(and a little about HFL and Alliance in general):

They had webinar on Sunday night which talked more about HFL and Alliance. I think it is pretty good idea but will only work if they get the powerhouse teams to buy in. One of my issues
for Juniors is giving points for winning pool games at 10U and 12U. Might dissuade some coaches from moving kids
around and pitching pitchers who are not "bracket ready".

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2015
I'm a willing participant in the HFL. :)

We've all known less fortunate players and if this can give them a chance to play or get discovered without spending more money that's great.

Approximately 2.24 million fastpitch players hit dirt in 2019. Players from 6 year's old to 20 something.

Just trying to put this in context. I know people pay less and more than the min. and max.

Low end $500 per year fee's-1,120,000,000 min
To
High end $1500 per year fee's - 3,360,000,000 max
Only counting club fee's above. No equipment sales.

So the cash value for fastpitch is between 1B to 3B up for grabs each year.

Every athlete has a monetary value.

Add up all the bats, gloves, clinics, club fee's, league fee's, and gate fee's. (Gas money & food too!)

Every time I hear the word athlete I just substitute it with money.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
High end fees more like 3-4k for national teams

Jun 8, 2016
Here is the webinar from Sunday night:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbatistejr