Softball pitching technique article

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Didnt read the entire thing. I did note the doctor said that the replant did not give an advantage of any more speed to the pitch. Argueably a debateable statement AND I believe simply an opinion. I am of the exact same opinion, doesnt gain speed but does shorten the distance thereby an advantage for the pitcher. There are other opinions exactly the opposite.

As I said I didnt read the entire article. Is this one doctors opinion of the Steadman - Hawkins report? Kinda sounds like it to me

Curious if this doctor ever played and pitched himself. I have had a handful of times where a doctor entertained a question or two on a particular motion in pitching. A couple of them had been to some softball games, knew what the pitching motion looked like but seemede to have no real clue of the forces going on in it. A few others had never been to a game or seen a fastpitch pitcher pitch, however, they seemed very knowledgeable on the different forces against the shoulder, back, etc when I demonstrated a pitch.

I guess it all depends on the Dr you go to as to how much they know and understand the 'Pitching motion'. If you do go to a doctor in regards to a pitching problem, be sure and demonstrate a pitch for him / her.

Good chance this doctor is basing his opinions on the pictures we are seeing. Ball pointing at 3rd at 12;00, etc. The pictures didnt show any variables in the motions / mechanics. His opinion might be a little different after seeing one of the other variables. It might be favorable to that variable, it might not.

The statement that a pitcher can reach ball speeds of 55mmph still has me scratching my head?
Find an ortho Dr that was a former fastpitch pitcher, you may just have a jewel on your hands!

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
What do you the about article? Is it pretty accurate?

Softball pitching technique
Dr Marion Alexander, Carolyn Taylor

CoachesInfo.com - information and education for coaches - Softball pitching technique

WOW..........All I can say is WOW..........This is AMAZING.........Great Find Nick..........

This chick REALLY KNOWS HER STUFF...........DO NOT DISREGARD THIS PART OF THE ARTICLE............

Arm Movements in Delivery

The shoulder joint is undergoing rapid shoulder flexion and adduction during the delivery, occurring at a velocity of over 2000deg/s. It has been reported that the peak windmill arm speeds range from 1800 to 2400deg/s. This speed of motion at the shoulder joint is more than twice that reported for elbow flexion speed (Werner 1995). This rapid flexion produces high shoulder distraction (dislocating) forces that can lead to injuries to the shoulder. The windmill speed of the throwing arm just prior to release of the ball should be decreased just before ball release. Pitchers with faster shoulder rotational speeds at release were found to have lower ball velocities at release (Werner, Murray et al. 1997). This deceleration of the shoulder rotation prior to release may allow some of the speed of the arm motion to be transferred to the ball (Alexander and Haddow 1982).

The deceleration of the shoulder rotation prior to release requires a strong eccentric contraction of the shoulder extensors prior to ball release. As the shoulder is decelerating the elbow is flexing to increase the effectiveness of the shoulder medial rotation and lower arm pronation (Figure 17).

It has been reported that pitchers who have less shoulder distraction force tend to bend the elbow more at release and into the follow through (Werner 1995). By flexing the elbow, less pull is created on the shoulder. Some of the energy from the shoulder is absorbed by the elbow bend, and the circular windmill motion is stopped more quickly (Werner 1995). This may be due to the greater shoulder medial rotation that occurs when the elbow is flexed as compared to the extended elbow. Pitchers who maintain a straight arm into the follow through tend to continue the windmill motion long after the ball has been released. These are the athletes that may encounter shoulder distraction forces equal or exceeding their body weights (Werner 1995).

Although the elbow is extended for much of the windmill motion, the elbow undergoes flexion just prior to release of the ball (Figure 17). The average elbow angle for elite pitchers was found to be 140-165 degrees at release (Werner 1994) (Figure 18). This elbow flexion helps to increase the moment arm for shoulder medial rotation and therefore increases ball velocity. The maximum reported flexion velocity for right handed pitchers was 966 deg/s, with a range in the values between 645 to1700 deg/s (Werner 1995).

The pitching arm should remain behind the trunk and in a supinated and laterally rotated position during the downswing behind the body. The velocity of the ball during this phase is from the shoulder flexion that is occurring on the downswing, as well as from the trunk rotation that is occurring. The most active muscle during this phase was found to be the pectoralis major muscle which was strongly active from the top of the backswing to ball release (Maffet, Jobe et al. 1997).

At a point 2 frames prior to release (.066 s), the pitching arm begins the critical rotational movements to increase ball speed: lower arm pronation and upper arm medial rotation. The magnitude of the internal rotation torque relative to body weight appears to be greater for underhand throwing than for overhand throwing (Barrentine 1999). It has been concluded that internal rotation of the humerus produced by this internal rotation torque is a major contributor to ball velocity.

The ball is released in mid pronation and mid medial rotation (Figure 19-3) as this is the point of peak angular velocity of these movements. Just prior to ball release a maximum internal rotation velocity of 4600 d/s is reached (Barrentine 1999). These movements are performed with the elbow slightly bent and the wrist abducted to maximize the length of the moment arm for these rotations from the axis to the ball. The axis for shoulder medial rotation passes through the long axis of the upper arm; and the axis for pronation occurs through the long axis of the lower arm. The flexed elbow and abducted wrist will help to increase the moment arms about these axes to the ball.

The pitcher also performs lateral trunk lean in the direction of the pitching arm during release- this movement increases the moment arm for both spinal rotation and rotation around the left hip. The axis for spinal rotation passes through the spine, so that slight abduction of the arm about the shoulder joint will increase this distance. The axis for rotation about the left hip passes through the left thigh, and leaning sideways away from this axis will increase the moment arm for rotation about this axis.

This my friends IS THE INTERNAL ROTATION MECHANICS I wrote about in '09, only I wrote it so the lay-person could understand it.......And I wrote it without ever seeing this article before today..........

AMAZING............

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom679