Softball Organizations - USSSA, PGF, etc...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
FieldLevel has a list of commits you can see without even signing up for an account (maybe signing up gives you more info, I don't know).

I just looked up 2022 commits to any school in Texas and they only listed 3 of them so I'm thinking that list is strictly limited to those girls signed up with Field Level.

Nov 18, 2013
You’re likely to hear recruiting services are a waste of money and you can do the legwork yourself. Technically that’s true, but if you’re late getting into the game a reputable service might be a good option. Do your due diligence. Recruiters can be a lot like car salesman where some are more trustworthy than others.

Others have posted that colleges go to tournaments to watch players they’re recruiting and girls aren’t just “discovered”. This is also generally true. The big advantage of playing in the upper level showcases and nationals is you’re facing teams that coaches are already watching. While I wouldn’t suggest relying on getting noticed that way, it can definitely help. A good showing against players a coach is already recruiting will definitely catch their eye.

Nov 18, 2013
I was asking about commits because BT3100 said to look up a school's commits to see where they were playing. I don't think schools list their commits because that would be a NCAA violation.

Sorry, I was thinking current players.

Jun 8, 2016
Where would you find that information?
It would likely take some leg work. For the P5 schools I would guess many have “chatrooms” where they talk about such things. OU has one for example. Would be a lot more difficult for other D1s and D2/D3/NAIA/JUCO, etc

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I just looked up 2022 commits to any school in Texas and they only listed 3 of them so I'm thinking that list is strictly limited to those girls signed up with Field Level.

Oh, yeah, that is probably the case. It won't be a comprehensive list, but it could give you some idea. (I also found it by googling. I have no stake in that site.)

Nov 5, 2014
Both extra innings and flosoftball maintain a verbal commit database. Neither sight is free and the information is not 100% complete as it relies on coaches/players to self report commitments, but they are pretty good as most TB programs want to publicize their commits as much as possible to help with recruiting players to their org.

Aug 6, 2013
In our area USSSA is a step above REC. Having a kid dominate in those tournaments really doesn't say much. Put the same player in top level tournaments and then you will know.

The optimal words in your statement are “our area”. While UTrip may not be big in the NE, it is big in the Midwest and the tournaments are often full of decent level teams with college committed players.

I think the best advice is market, market, and did I say market, your daughter. Have her send emails. Fill out the prospect questionnaires. Make a Twitter account and post a couple times a week. Use tools like Blast, Pocket Radar, Rapsodo to get a few metrics and if they are decent post those on Twitter. DD doesn’t tag coaches but she will email them once in a while and then utilize the DM feature on Twitter if the coaches have opted in. She will tag “Retweeters”. Her coach is also very good friends with lots of college coaches because she coaches on that level in the past. Ask your daughter’s coaches to reach out for her as well. DD is a 2023 and we just moved halfway across the country so her focus on geographic area has changed. She is starting all over and is hitting it hard but this is mostly her journey. I can help give her ideas but she does the legwork.

Apr 28, 2014
The optimal words in your statement are “our area”. While UTrip may not be big in the NE, it is big in the Midwest and the tournaments are often full of decent level teams with college committed players.

Exactly in the northeast USSSA is weak. Head to Salisbury or even Space Coast in Florida for a Utrip world series and you will see B or C level ball even at the "A" level. At PGF nationals for Premier you will always find top tier talent. So if a coach has a choice they most often will choose the best talent to watch. I don't know much about outside our area as it relates to Utrip.
Agree with the marketing side, but kids need to be cautious in tagging schools all over twitter. I've seen firsthand coaches "like" twitter posts over and over only giving the PSA a false sense of hope.
Write to the coach directly, if they have a camp then attend, but play the absolute highest level of softball possible.

Nov 18, 2013

I think the best advice is market, market, and did I say market, your daughter. Have her send emails. Fill out the prospect questionnaires. Make a Twitter account and post a couple times a week. Use tools like Blast, Pocket Radar, Rapsodo to get a few metrics and if they are decent post those on Twitter. DD doesn’t tag coaches but she will email them once in a while and then utilize the DM feature on Twitter if the coaches have opted in. She will tag “Retweeters”. Her coach is also very good friends with lots of college coaches because she coaches on that level in the past. Ask your daughter’s coaches to reach out for her as well. DD is a 2023 and we just moved halfway across the country so her focus on geographic area has changed. She is starting all over and is hitting it hard but this is mostly her journey. I can help give her ideas but she does the legwork.

The advice you offered is very good. As far as USSSA goes it depends if you’re talking USA Elite Select or USSSA World Series events. USA ES attracts top tier teams. The World Series events, even in the Midwest, are primarily what would be considered B teams on a national level. Considering orgs like Little League and NAFA are primarily rec level I think it’s fair to say USSSA WS events are a step above rec. Again, I think your advice is spot on though.

Aug 6, 2013
The advice you offered is very good. As far as USSSA goes it depends if you’re talking USA Elite Select or USSSA World Series events. USA ES attracts top tier teams. The World Series events, even in the Midwest, are primarily what would be considered B teams on a national level. Considering orgs like Little League and NAFA are primarily rec level I think it’s fair to say USSSA WS events are a step above rec. Again, I think your advice is spot on though.

Yeah I should have specified the USAES events specifically. My bad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30