Softball Organizations - USSSA, PGF, etc...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 8, 2020
My DD loves softball and really wants to get into a college softball program at any level. My question is regarding all these different Organizations that run tournaments, championships, etc...

My understanding is PGF is where the elite play is, so, do games in any other organizations really matter in terms of college coaches/programs paying attention? By other orgs I mean USSSA, NAFA, NSA, FASA or any other orgs. Is it worth it for her team to be playing in USSSA? NAFA? or should they just be in PGF tournaments? By worth it I mean for advancing to college, it is obviously worth it for the fun and competition.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Certain showcase tournaments will attract more coaches than most of the tournaments these organizations put on.

Also know that being ''discovered'' as a prospect doesn't typically occur at tournaments or showcases. It's done more typically through contacting the coach, sending emails, showing video. I've been out of it a couple of years, and I hear Twitter and other ways to get out video is a good way to do it. Attending camps of a school you're interested in is big because it shows the coach you're invested enough to take the time and spend the money to show up. But then, it's not easy to stand out in those unless the coach knows who you are ahead of time. Being on a travel team with a coach who knows college coaches and has their trust is really helpful.

Better (and more up-to-date) advice than mine to come, I'm sure. But just making sure you know it's not a matter of finding where coaches are and attending. College coaches going to tournaments aren't randomly scouting. They have a list of people they're there to watch.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
My DD just signed with a very nice NAIA school. We reached out to the coach through Field Level. He watched her videos we posted there and then came to some friendlies to watcher play. We also had offers from other NAIA (and a D2) schools that never saw her play in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
If your kid wants to play in college, you are looking at wrong. Find out where the better teams are playing in your area and get on on one of those teams as long as her skill level and desire are in line with the team. IMO PGF is a one trick pony, as the only tourney they host that means anything is their Nationals in California. USSSA, USA, TCS have many opportunities to play throughout the year. Coaches go to the tourneys where their prospects are playing.

What age level is your DD and what part of the country are you in?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD is 15 on a 16u team in Illinois.
At this point you need to develop a marketing plan to attack schools that she is interested in. There is a lot of information on this forum that will get you going. If I were you, I would begin scanning various threads that give you precise details on what she/you/family need to be doing to get her seen. Is she on the right team to help her along in this process? Based on your original post, I don't think so. Otherwise, your team's coaches and college recruiter should have gone over this stuff at this point.

May 21, 2015
South
Certain showcase tournaments will attract more coaches than most of the tournaments these organizations put on.

Also know that being ''discovered'' as a prospect doesn't typically occur at tournaments or showcases. It's done more typically through contacting the coach, sending emails, showing video. I've been out of it a couple of years, and I hear Twitter and other ways to get out video is a good way to do it. Attending camps of a school you're interested in is big because it shows the coach you're invested enough to take the time and spend the money to show up. But then, it's not easy to stand out in those unless the coach knows who you are ahead of time. Being on a travel team with a coach who knows college coaches and has their trust is really helpful.

Better (and more up-to-date) advice than mine to come, I'm sure. But just making sure you know it's not a matter of finding where coaches are and attending. College coaches going to tournaments aren't randomly scouting. They have a list of people they're there to watch.

This is the way it works. Many parents think that coaches have the ability to identify their daughter as a prospect by watching her play one game. In order to get recruited, you and your daughter have to be proactive and do the things suggested above. Unless you are on one of the truly elite teams, TB is for improving skills. Do not depend on others to get your daughter recruited. You and your daughter need to get busy.

Apr 28, 2014
The best teams play PGF, Triple Crown etc.
Find out what tournaments your future team will be entering. Thats a good idea where they see themselves from a level of competition perspective

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
There are lots of good tournaments put on by Topgun through the USAES sanction in the midwest. You may have trouble finding a team that ONLY plays PGF. With the PGF shutdown in CA this summer, the Tournament USA Nationals had teams from all over the country. I believe DIV 1/2 are still restricted in their ability to attend events because of Covid until at least April.

As others mentioned, for the vast majority, the emphasis should be getting on the coach's radar at specific schools of interest. Further, you need to be realistic about what level your DD can compete at. For JUCO and smaller colleges, it's completely reasonable to get recruited while on a team that plays in USSSA tournaments.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zwhickcar