Softball must haves?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
There is a good chance we will be getting a good donation made to DD's TB team. We are looking at ideas that would benefit all the players. I am looking for ideas. We could do matching bat bags, shoes, ect..... What things have you seen that were good and beneficial for 10u teams to have?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
An indoor training complex? :)

Depends on what you've already got, but having a good place to practice (convenient, good infield, batting cage, enough space) is a priority, IMO. If money gives you access to a better, more convenient place, or allows you to upgrade something that's substandard, or allows you to get indoors for the winter, I'd definitely think about that.

Not sure what kind of a windfall you're expecting, but here's what I'd do with a reasonably large donation:

Two Bownet Big Mouths, three Tanner Tees, six dozen leather softballs, three dozen softees, two dozen TCB wiffles and one dozen TCB 82s. Get tall buckets with padded lids for all the balls except the TCBs ... put all three dozen of those in one zip-top, handled ball bag.

Take all of this gear to practices, holding back three dozen of the new leather balls in reserve to get you through the season.

Take the nets, two of the tees, all the TCBs and one bucket full of regulation softballs to tournaments, adding one or two brand new balls each time. Get a bucket sleeve for the one ball bucket you take to tourneys. Put all your necessary stuff like scorebooks, lineup cards, pens, pencils, first aid kit, etc. in the sleeve.

They will go through shoes and gear bags every year. I consider those a family expense.

If there is any money left, I'd use it for tournament fees and practice fields/indoor facilities and to help pay a couple of umpires for calling a few friendlies.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
An indoor training complex? :)

Depends on what you've already got, but having a good place to practice (convenient, good infield, batting cage, enough space) is a priority, IMO. If money gives you access to a better, more convenient place, or allows you to upgrade something that's substandard, or allows you to get indoors for the winter, I'd definitely think about that.

I agree, cosmetics end in the dugout. You don't want to be the best looking team who goes home on Saturday. Extra money is best invested in field rental, possibly "facility" rental in climate challenged states.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Not sure what kind of a windfall you're expecting, but here's what I'd do with a reasonably large donation:

Three Bownet Big Mouths, three Tanner Tees, six dozen leather softballs, three dozen softees, two dozen TCB wiffles and one dozen TCB 82s. Get tall buckets with padded lids for all the balls except the TCBs ... put all three dozen of those in one zip-top, handled ball bag.

Take all of this gear to practices, holding back three dozen of the new leather balls in reserve to get you through the season.

Take two of the nets, two of the tees, all the TCBs and one bucket full of regulation softballs to tournaments, adding one or two brand new balls each time.

They will go through shoes and gear bags every year. I consider those a family expense.

If there is any money left, I'd use it for tournament fees and practice fields/indoor facilities and to help pay a couple of umpires for calling a few friendlies.

I like the tcb wiffles too; don't see them much, only the heavies. What do you do with the softies?

What do you do with the softies?
What I call "high-speed training."

Translation: Coach knocks the snot out of the ball and you have to field it.

I like the softees at 10U and even for a first-year 12U team if experience is on the short side.

I also mix them in in all fielding drills because they give a different bounce and flight pattern than leather. I mix them in on front toss, too, as they give a different look to my hitters.

I front toss my TCB 82s along with the TCB wiffles (all mixed in together) as a warmup at tourneys and as a station at practice. That's why all the TCBs are in one bag....I just reach in pitch whichever version I happen to grab.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Tcb 82's and wiffle balls
bow net
Batting cage
Pitcher screen
Indoor facility access
Tons of games to include friendly scrimmages.
Matching bat bags and helmets are a bonus but personal equipment should be a parent expense
Last but not least... a team of highly dedicated players :)

Jul 2, 2013
If you have extra money from big donors. The b est way to spend it is to not spend it.

Keep some in the bank. Give the paying parents a break. Establish the reputation that if their DD, who wants to make the team, does indeed make the team ... that the team will indeed reward her. Even if it a team dinner paid by the team at the next tourney.

Team bags ... extra shirts ... are frills. The parents do not want that. Listen to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44