So tired of hearing "it's not fair" from other parents

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
1) When did I say that Title IX was a failure? May want to re-read my post, slowly.

I have, and you are right...I have no idea what point you are trying to make. What are you trying to say?

2) Over time has the trend of female coaches in college sports gone up or down since 1972?

The number of female coaches in college sports has gone way, way up since 1972.
3) Once the number of women's sports became more or less static did this trend change?

I don't know. That would be some interesting data.

4) When was the first High School football state championship in Illinois?

5) Does this mean that High School football was not played in Illinois prior to 1974? I seem to remember going to games in the 60's.

Football is a world unto itself. There is nothing like football in women's sports...or, for that matter, anywhere else in the world.

Comparing apples to apples: The first Illinois boys basketball HS champion was 1908. The first Illinois girls basketball championship was 1977. The first boys baseball championship was 1939. The first softball championship was in 1976.

As to, "Why aren't there more women coaches..."

The simple reality is that when the positions were created, there weren't enough qualified female candidates for the job. So, schools hired men. The turn over in coaches in the minor sports is very low.

I'm sure the trend will reverse itself at some point.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I have, and you are right...I have no idea what point you are trying to make. What are you trying to say?

The number of female coaches in college sports has gone way, way up since 1972.

I don't know. That would be some interesting data.

Football is a world unto itself. There is nothing like football in women's sports...or, for that matter, anywhere else in the world.

Comparing apples to apples: The first Illinois boys basketball HS champion was 1908. The first Illinois girls basketball championship was 1977. The first boys baseball championship was 1939. The first softball championship was in 1976.

As to, "Why aren't there more women coaches..."

The simple reality is that when the positions were created, there weren't enough qualified female candidates for the job. So, schools hired men. The turn over in coaches in the minor sports is very low.

I'm sure the trend will reverse itself at some point.

I wasn't the one who brought football into the mix. Maybe you should have gone with basketball to begin with. I am sure you will agree that the advent of a state championship has little to no bearing on the existence of a sport. As to no girls HS sports prior to 1972 obviously that is not correct. The bottom line is that although opportunities for women to participate in college sports has increased, the trend with respect to women coaches is on a downward path. Certainly an unintended consequence of Title IX.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
...groups like the ACLU... Meaning narrow special interest groups who believe that if an action possibly offends 1 person then the other 10,000 people must do without. Example: In California High Schools you cannot wear a t-shirt with an American flag on May 5th because it might offend students of Mexican lineage.

When I was in HS in the late 80's early 90's, they wouldn't allow girls to wear the popular "Daisy Duke" shorts, which at the time I thought was a crime!!!! 20 years later, and a father, seems like a pretty good rule now. :) I can see that being a safety issue.

Other side of the coin, we live in the Deep South. School children can no longer wear any attire that contains the Confederate Flag. But, I've seen school kids from other ethnics wear their country's colors/flags and go unquestioned. They even made one kid take off his Confederate license plate cover...........cause it "might offend someone". Really??

Like most rules, including IX, they mean well. They will help some, hurt some, and some will just be foolishly enforced.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
When I was in HS in the late 80's early 90's, they wouldn't allow girls to wear the popular "Daisy Duke" shorts, which at the time I thought was a crime!!!! 20 years later, and a father, seems like a pretty good rule now. :) I can see that being a safety issue.

Other side of the coin, we live in the Deep South. School children can no longer wear any attire that contains the Confederate Flag. But, I've seen school kids from other ethnics wear their country's colors/flags and go unquestioned. They even made one kid take off his Confederate license plate cover...........cause it "might offend someone". Really??

Like most rules, including IX, they mean well. They will help some, hurt some, and some will just be foolishly enforced.

Orange County Public Schools just caved to a group threatening a lawsuit over team chaplains for the football team. They were told they could continue if the did not mention god, the bible, etc. And they would be referred to as life coaches not chaplains. Most if not all said no thanks.

Florida school district replaces football chaplains with "life coaches" | Fox News

Which why I figure that it is only a matter of time before advocates for Students Who Cannot Chew Gum and Walk file a suit because they are being treated unfairly because they are discriminated due to their athletic ability or lack thereof. They will claim that High School Athletics fosters an atmosphere of inequality, low self esteem, bullying, etc. If every kid can't make varsity it just is not fair!

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Orange County Public Schools just caved to a group threatening a lawsuit over team chaplains for the football team. They were told they could continue if the did not mention god, the bible, etc. And they would be referred to as life coaches not chaplains. Most if not all said no thanks.

Florida school district replaces football chaplains with "life coaches" | Fox News

Which why I figure that it is only a matter of time before advocates for Students Who Cannot Chew Gum and Walk file a suit because they are being treated unfairly because they are discriminated due to their athletic ability or lack thereof. They will claim that High School Athletics fosters an atmosphere of inequality, low self esteem, bullying, etc. If every kid can't make varsity it just is not fair!

As a Christian, I have to say that based upon the theological garbage that passes as "Christianity" in modern America, "life coach" is actually a much more accurate title than "pastor" or "chaplain". Still, of course, the only thing more absurd than the lawsuit which was threatened is the fact that those cowards caved in to it. I'll end my rant before it begins.

Other than that, I agree with you.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
They will claim that High School Athletics fosters an atmosphere of inequality, low self esteem, bullying, etc. If every kid can't make varsity it just is not fair!

When I was a young buck Memphis had a population of around 600,000.......there were 2 travel baseball teams, the Memphis Travelers and the Giants. 100's of kids tried out for those teams, many didn't make it. I don't remember all the crying and bashing from those who didn't make it, like we do today. And there are probably 10 good travel teams in the area now, but people lose their minds when lil Tommy doesn't make the cut. Crazy!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl