So, how much should a college prospect be training?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
How much time is a college prospect, high school age, training if she wants to be a D-I player?

How much time hitting? Fielding? Getting stronger? Getting fit?

I know it depends partly on position and time of the year, but just thought I'd throw it out there without many conditions.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
D-I in and of itself does not equate to a high level of play. That said some players may already have the requisite physical skills to play college ball at their respective level. However, few if any are as strong or agile as they will need to be. Most of my players now at the next level which spans the full spectrum and includes my own DD wished they had spent additional time on strength and agility. When they get home on break they hit the weight room as much or more than the batting cage or pitching lane.

WORK THE CORE!!!!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Thanks, RB. Yeah, I realize D-I is wide-ranging. Guess I just meant the higher levels of college ball. Let's just call it the top 100 programs.

This gives me another thread idea that I've been meaning to ask. Stay tuned.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
One of the challenges for her will be getting into the routine of daily workouts. Morning lifts and then practices in the afternoon. At first it will seem like a chore and may at times test her resolve. But as with any routine she will feel as though something is missing when she has time off during holidays and other breaks. Many girls relish those first few days of sleeping in and not being in the gym. Then after a few days they start to miss the routine. My DD was home for a week around Thanksgiving and enjoyed sleeping in and doing absolutely nothing. But after few days she started missing the norm of her team workouts and practices. Watching them evolve into college players is a very special experience.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
A girl that I know that played for AZ. State, got up and ran the track, every morning before school. (HS) It worked out well, for her.

Sep 18, 2011
On her unofficial visit a couple of months ago, the coaches told DD (and the 5 or 6 other committed recruits) that they did not want the girls lifting weights until they got to campus and could work with the team's trainer. They definitely wanted the girls to be in good shape, but lifting weights and cross-fit were frowned upon due to risk of injury. I assume they must have had a few bad experiences with girls getting hurt. Neither here nor there, I guess, but I thought it worth mentioning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom