Should batter stay in box on a PB?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I know this has been discussed on here before but I don't remember the answer.

U18 ASA Tournament this weekend, batter scrambled to get out of the way of the catcher on a passed ball with runners on and almost wound up interfering with the play. She backed out of the box quickly as the catcher went to circle around behind her and they almost collided. I (AC) was on the bench and told her it was ok to remain in the box and if she stepped outside ran the risk of being called for interference. (as long as the play wasn't at home)

The Ump stopped the game and told me I was giving my player incorrect information and that he would call her for interference if she didn't get out of the way.

Now aside from the Blue telling me what I can and cannot say to my players, was he correct?

butcher-boy

old school
Jul 10, 2013
ARIZONA
ASA Rule 7-section 6 ,P1 batter is out if you hinder catcher by stepping out of the box. BUT P2 says batter is out if batter " INTENTIONALLY" hinders the catcher while standing within the batters box. IMO if your not sure where the ball is, it is best to stay in the box and let the umpire judge whether you are doing so to intentionally interfere.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
ASA Rule 7-section 6 ,P1 batter is out if you hinder catcher by stepping out of the box. BUT P2 says batter is out if batter " INTENTIONALLY" hinders the catcher while standing within the batters box. IMO if your not sure where the ball is, it is best to stay in the box and let the umpire judge whether you are doing so to intentionally interfere.

The rule does not say that and may not apply to this case even if it did.

Last edited:

butcher-boy

old school
Jul 10, 2013
ARIZONA
The rule does not say that and may not apply to this case even if it did.

Gee, I'm sorry I thought I had copied the rule correctly from the ASA rule book. What part doesn't apply ,batter, batters box, catcher or interference ?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I know this has been discussed on here before but I don't remember the answer.

U18 ASA Tournament this weekend, batter scrambled to get out of the way of the catcher on a passed ball with runners on and almost wound up interfering with the play. She backed out of the box quickly as the catcher went to circle around behind her and they almost collided. I (AC) was on the bench and told her it was ok to remain in the box and if she stepped outside ran the risk of being called for interference. (as long as the play wasn't at home)

The Ump stopped the game and told me I was giving my player incorrect information and that he would call her for interference if she didn't get out of the way.

Now aside from the Blue telling me what I can and cannot say to my players, was he correct?

The batter's box is not a safe haven. The batter must make every effort to avoid interfering with any play and the interference call may be situational. If there is a possible play at the plate, the batter needs to abandon the area. Hardest part is teaching a player that moving to the other side of the plate may be the best place to move. It seems batters always want to back out of the box which may put them right in the middle of the play.

If it were a play elsewhere, it is really a HTBT call.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The batter has to do the best that they can. And sometimes, they just can't avoid being called for interference. It is just one of those things, like a runner being hit by a line drive.

But, make certain that you explain the rule to your team and the parents, so they don't keep yelling it for the next 50 years.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Gee, I'm sorry I thought I had copied the rule correctly from the ASA rule book. What part doesn't apply ,batter, batters box, catcher or interference ?

7.6.P [THE BATTER IS OUT] "When hindering the catcher from catching or throwing the ball by stepping out of the batter's box"

7.6.Q [THE BATTER IS OUT] "When actively hindering the catcher while in the batter's box".

7.6.R [THE BATTER IS OUT] "When intentionally interfering with a thrown ball, in or out of the batter's box"

These were changed in 2007 when the word "intentional" or derivative thereof, was removed from most rules on INT. 7.6.R is one of the few where "intent" was left intact for whatever reason that was never explained in Colorado Springs.

They basically want the umpire to judge as to whether it is INT or not, not whether it was intentional or not. Without seeing the play, really don't know if it would be INT or not.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
No interference was called, the issue was my direction being incorrect or not.

If there are runners on 1B and or 2B and there is a PB, if batter stays in the box and squats down low (like a pitcher might when F5 throws to 1B) wouldn't that be a good way to stay out of the way and comply with the 3 rules listed above?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoebeschultz