Batter interference??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
With less than 2 outs, runner closest to home is out, other runners return to bases at time of pitch, batter remains with same count.
With two outs, batter out inning over.
No. At least in USA, USSSA, the batter is always out. Doesn’t matter how many outs there are. Batter interference, penalty: dead ball, batter is out.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I had my dog with me. I got distracted by the dog and the next thing I know.... For some reason, I always thought that interference had the runner closest to home as out, but I am guessing I am / was totally confused.
That could be the case if the batter interferes after she is out. Like on strike 3.

Jul 27, 2021
Had to be there. We have all seen umps make calls that seem to be their pet peeve. The last 2 weekends the umps here don't seem to recognize obstruction anymore.

May 29, 2015
With less than 2 outs, runner closest to home is out, other runners return to bases at time of pitch, batter remains with same count.

giphy.gif

The player who interferes is ALWAYS the one out. If you can’t call a player who interfered out, then you go looking for the next one on the list (and that depends on the situation).

Why couldn’t you call them out? Because they are not a player or are not an active participant in the game (on deck, retired runner, not in the line up, etc.).

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio

That's only true for some softball rule sets. It's true for baseball and I believe for some softball rule sets that are derived from baseball, like Little League. But for USA, USSSA, and NFHS it's always the batter who is out for batter interference.

May 29, 2015
That's only true for some softball rule sets. It's true for baseball and I believe for some softball rule sets that are derived from baseball, like Little League. But for USA, USSSA, and NFHS it's always the batter who is out for batter interference.

giphy.gif

OBR

1720065702479.png
1720066048516.png

I left that exception in there to show that you aren't crazy, just mixed up.

You can get the out on the runner if the batter interferes with a play at the plate (not a catcher's throw to another base) OR if the batter is already out (e.g., struck out and then interferes).

In those cases, we revert to

1720066358454.png
1720066394897.png

For a softball example, NFHS Softball gets there more succinctly:
1720066926126.png
1720066966620.png
1720066768955.png

Last edited:

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
I had my dog with me. I got distracted by the dog and the next thing I know.... For some reason, I always thought that interference had the runner closest to home as out, but I am guessing I am / was totally confused.
The player who creates the interference is the one out.
If a retired runner interfere, then the runner closes to home would be out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoons831