Should a 14yr old play 18 Gold?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
It seems like this will be happening more with the rule changes in 18G. We have been surprised to see it some already, but now with more roster spots to fill on the 18G teams, do you think the better young varsity players will be given at least some of these spots?

May 12, 2008
Depends on their goals. Some people put a team together to win. Some people focus on getting kids signed. Who they choose to be on their team will be partially dictated by how they balance those goals.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
A 14YOA playing on 18U gold does happen. Sometimes the 14YOA girl is good enough to start. Sometimes the coach thinks that next year the girl will be that good. It isn't uncommon for a girl to go to 18U after a year or two at 14U or 16U. Girls generally are physically mature at 14YOA, so a coach pretty easily evaluate if the girl has the talent, although the skills probably will need to be improved.

You need to talk to the coach and understand playing time. Don't make demands on the coach like, "My DD has to play 5 innings of every game." But, try to understand how he/she divides up playing time between the kids.

You also need to evaluate the maturity level of your DD and how she will fit into the team. There is one school of thought that a girl's teammates should be her BFFL. If that is the way she approaches the team, then she might have some problems because some of the kids will be much more than she is. If, on the the other hand, she (and you) approach softball with "the kids on the team are nice, but my BFFLs are at church/school/neighborhood", then the maturity isn't as much of an issue.

You need to understand the time commitment, both at practice and with your DD's personal coach.

Finally, you've got to ask her if she is ready for this. She will *NOT* be the best player on the 18U team. She will have to work very hard. She probably wont' start every game and will sit more than if played on a 16U team.

Feb 24, 2010
L O L , Thats a great question that can test ones emotions. I see it some but, none too often. If you think a 14 yrs old needs the exposure then great!! It depends on what you are trying to accomplish,personally if the 14 year old can handle the pressure of being around 19 yrs olds and 18's fine.There's alot that you have to consider in this equation how she responds to the elder girls and how the Elder Girls respond to a "milk dud" in the group. Most of the time if she is an impact player that makes a difference she will be readily excepted and coddled by the group everyones trying to be a Big Sis to the New Kid with a optic guided Laser arm or a Tree for a Stick.If she is barely hanging by the seat of her pants expect one of those nurturing hellions to give her a push to see if her mug can hold water.Young adults are funny they smell fear and want to expose it just for spite if they think there gonna have to share air.lo 15's and mid 16's about the right age for Gold Studs they can handle them selves about then. Just my 2 cents save the money for the Fall Sophmore and Sophmore year..

Dec 28, 2008
She is very talented but I'm concerned on many levels.

I'm assuming your "concerns on many levels" involve the obvious fact that 18-19 year olds on the team will be talking about lifestyles and activites that you don't want your 14 year old daughter to see being "glamorized." If you feel she needs more time to develop emotionally and in her faith and her values before being exposed to that, then you should follow your heart on that and not feel like this opportunity is the only way she'll get a scholarship. As many have shared the key thing for her recruiting success is getting her in front of the coaches of the schools she'd like to go to and that can happen in many ways.

Jan 15, 2009
A lot would depend on the make up of the 18U Gold team as well. I'd have a different level of concern if the team was made up of 14-16 year olds playing at 18U Gold level than if my kid was the only 14 year old mixed in with 17-19 year olds

May 7, 2009
If I could get some clarity that woudl be great here. Is Gold ONLY at the 18U level? Ive been trying to figure this out and I hear Gold... Ive talked to a parent that there daughter plays on a "travel" team where there are kids from other states and they get together every weekend to
play in tournaments. No practice....this team only plays games together. Im assuming the kids/family is responsible for lessons/practice to prepare for games.

So..my questions are...how do you find out what teams are gold in your area? Im in St. Louis. second how do you find out about travel teams such as explained above. I only seem to see "club" teams and even the good ones seem to be made up of girls that have grown up together and its tough to break into that. My daughter is 16 and all of this information is great....

Thanks in advance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45