Should a 14yr old play 18 Gold?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
Probably so. Around here, the best players play 14U and then move straight to gold. And I mean gold teams with invitations to Boulder or Aurora. If she wants to play D1 they are identifying kids your DD's age as to who they want to recruit. Now if she wants to play close to home or D3, she doesn't necessarily need to play gold or at least play it this early. Consider also her maturity level and the age of girls she will be around. Consider how much playing time she will get and how much she will enjoy the atmosphere.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Probably so. Around here, the best players play 14U and then move straight to gold. And I mean gold teams with invitations to Boulder or Aurora. If she wants to play D1 they are identifying kids your DD's age as to who they want to recruit. Now if she wants to play close to home or D3, she doesn't necessarily need to play gold or at least play it this early. Consider also her maturity level and the age of girls she will be around. Consider how much playing time she will get and how much she will enjoy the atmosphere.

Mark makes a very good point here. We have been looking at schools close to home or within 4 -5 hour drive. We made a contact suggested by a friend and were told by a very good program more that that time frame away that they had one spot left for 2011 and they consider themselves "late" in the process for 2011. So, my dd is 16 and a 2011 graduate and she is already "late" in recruitment. Who would believe that the fastpitch world has gotten this crazy?

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
That would really depend on how good the 14u, 16u teams are in your area.

Sorry to be skeptical, but in my experience, the good 18Gold teams that qualify for and compete at ASA 18Gold national Championship routinely are very selective of who they take. Much more so than any 16u or 14u teams. I have seen 14yo play for 18U teams, but those were not teams that had any chance of qualifying for the ASA Gold National tournament. The new rules will cause changes in 18Gold team makeup now though.

There is large recruiting focus on 16U. And theres even some at 14U. Would coaches like to see a younger girl that plays up? Thats conventional wisdom , so maybe, but I do think it depends on the team. The best 14u teams will beat many 18U teams, even some very good 18U teams. So it is not a given that playing up , even at 18U level , actually means playing at a higher level. It just depends on the team. If it is a real 18gold team, then it probably is. If its the O.C. Batbusters, then the answer is OF COURSE, but if its the Podunk, KY Hicks, well then, maybe not.

Just noticed you apparently ARE from LA area. I would say that if your daughter played on any one of dozens of very good 14U, 16U teams that compete and consistently place high nationally, she would have great exposure and be recruited. You are very fortunate. Many schools recruit a high percentage of So Cal players just because of the reputation. Of course playing several yrs for a good 18Gold team would give good exposure too. Just dont forget that they wont be able to talk to her till junior yr just the same.

Last edited:
May 12, 2008
The best gold teams around here hesitate to pick up a junior because it's just so late in the game and they need to keep placing their kids in top schools to be able to continue getting the best players. If they need to for competitive reasons they will but if a freshman or soph is close they would rather take the younger kid partly because they know they can get her a better deal than they can get for the junior.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Only reason I asked on position, we were asked last year as a 1st year 14 to 'pitch' 18 gold. Took me about 10 seconds to pass. Not that i didn't think we couldn't do good, but I was more concerned with my DD reactions if a hard shot from an 18 stud came right back. I felt she needed the extra time since she had just turned 13. Just a dad's personal choice. Safety first. :)

But if your a position player I'd say go for it. We will start running the gold circuit this fall and in 2011, I can't wait!!!!!!

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Im not sure that the top 18Gold teams do that though (so far, but rule changes mayl have some effect). For instance, according to their website, the Gold Coast Hurricanes, which have finished in 3,1,2 over the last 3 yrs I think, only have 1 girl returning from last summers team for 2010. They field basically an all-senior / college freshman team. That is what I would expect at the top level, which are the teams that draw the most attention.

So I'll pose the question, which would garner more attention, a 16yo on a 16U team that finishes in the top 5 or 10 in the country in ASA nationals and Fireworks,etc or a 16yo on a 18U Gold team that is not as successful.? I have to think that the more successful teams will attract the most attention. After all, a coach can only watch a few games at Nationals or a showcase at first, but as the # of teams left dwindle, it will increase. Get down to only 12 teams or so left and eventually every coach in attendance will be watching part of every game.

Just trying to rationalize an argument for playing for the "better" team, regardless of age group. Not sure where my own preference would really be!

Last edited:
May 12, 2008
A team of seniors draws zero attention because they are all committed if the team is good. Why does a team with the goal of placing their kids in D1's need to pick up a 2011 when that money is already committed? Much of the 2012 money is in the process of being committed. This summer showcase gold teams need to find 2013's so they can get them on track to commit with good D1's before that money is committed. If they can find a 2014 who can help them win, that's really hitting the jackpot.

Being on a name program is great but being on a decent team at tournaments where the coaches you want to see you CAN see you is step one. Making sure the coach gets repeated emails etc from your kid letting the coach know where and when she will be playing and how much she would like to play for that coach is the key. And give them an online skills video to look at.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45