Shaved Bats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
"Testing has verified that there are many effective methods of doctoring some of today’s most popular bats. Shaving composite bats resulted in the highest average performance increase followed by ABI (Accelerated Break In) methods, NBI (Natural Break In) methods, end-loading, and then shaving aluminum bats. It is unclear how these bat modifications interact, but it is reasonable to assume that the performance increases due to some of the methods should be additive. For example, a shaved composite bat that was endloaded should have a performance increase of nearly 10%."

Thats very general numbers. Dont think that says much of anything except shaving provides more increase. You can vary a shave of a bat depending on how long you want it to last and how lethal you want it to be.

Again for some of people...we are just talking, not saying it should be done or condoning it!!!!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have not looked in a while but the ASA ban was for 1 year minimum followed by a request to be reinstated.

DD can just jump to another alphabet organization so I am not sure how much it panelizes her.

(Is this a troll post?)

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I have not looked in a while but the ASA ban was for 1 year minimum followed by a request to be reinstated.

DD can just jump to another alphabet organization so I am not sure how much it panelizes her.

(Is this a troll post?)

What are you doing that you are worrying about a ban? haha

Mar 26, 2013
I have tested plenty of Xenos that havent passed with no breakage or anything.
I presume you performed a barrel compression test (BCT), which bats can fail without exceeding the performance standard (i.e. false positive). What kind of readings did you get on the Xenos?

Note: I agree with most of GM's post, but not his stance on bats being designed to break before outperforming the standard.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I presume you performed a barrel compression test (BCT), which bats can fail without exceeding the performance standard (i.e. false positive). What kind of readings did you get on the Xenos?

Note: I agree with most of GM's post, but not his stance on bats being designed to break before outperforming the standard.

The ABI protocol (which is not applicable to alloy/metal bats) requires that a bat NEVER exceed the performance standard at any time in its life. In practice, this most simply means that a legal bat must break before it exceeds the performance limit.

Actual bats (representative samples, as determined by the manufacturer) get sent out and tested in order for the manufacturer to legally be able to put the alpha org's stamp/thumbprint on their bats. This means that the production run bats purchased and used by the general bat buying public are not individually tested and that compliance with the performance standards is based on the manufacturers' assurance. Field testing of retail bats only happens before certain tournaments or sometimes after a batted ball injury. Official testing of those bats happens back in the laboratory. NCAA's policy is that a previously approved model is banned after getting 3 strikes (3 official testing failures).

It is possible that some manufacturers may have knowingly or inadvertently (i.e., poor QA/QC) made ABI bats that exceeded the limits; also possible is that a model could have been modified and slightly different from the model submitted for testing. IMO, the principle driver for the manufacturer to be honest is potential liability i.e., a bat that caused a serious injury is tested and found to exceed allowable limit.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2013
The ABI protocol (which is not applicable to alloy/metal bats) requires that a bat NEVER exceed the performance standard at any time in its life. In practice, this most simply means that a legal bat must break before it exceeds the performance limit.
The ABI protocol tests bats until they break to make sure they never exceed the performance standard at any time in their life. However, a bat's performance can degrade from it's peak before it breaks. I see peak performance and breaking points as separate issues for a bat designer.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA

False positive reads..do you mean the nonlinear and linear compression readings?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom