scoring from 3b

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
OK folks. Sounds like you all need to grow a set of juevos here. I dont recall seeing any post that talked about stealing home if the situation is right.

Watch the other team's catcher. If she is NOT throwing bullets back to the pitcher, as soon as the ball leaves her hand; break hard and fast for home.
The odds are in the runner's favor as most pitchers make really lousy overhand throws to a base when under pressure. The catch has to be perfect and the tag has to be placed. Lot's of pressure on the pitcher AND the catcher.

Obviously the third base runner has to possess 'good' speed or better and this must be practiced well. I have seen many a game end like this and many a tournement end on that play also.

I have even seen many an umpire taken by surprise by this play too :eek:

The third base runner has to give a relaxed stance while a few steps off the bag, don't give the catcher a clue. You will be surprised how paranoid and DISTRACTED a pitcher and catcher can get when you dothis tothem early in the game.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
not against well coaches teams and good catchers...... ESPECIALLY MORE today then ever before.... Catchers are taught to look back the lead runner and good pitchers snap their heads to lead runners. I teach catchers to walk across the plate watching the runners back and throwing to the pitcher.....
- badly coached 12U teams I can see, 14U and higher?? shouldn't happen, NOT from 3B to home!
*** NOW saying this, we also practiced the delayed steal from 3B, which to me is a waste of time, as if you are playing a bad team, you should win anyway, a good team/well coached team won't let this happen and I BET ALL OUR COACHES THAT IF WE EVER Stole home from 3B on a delayed steal, I'd buy ALL the coaches beer! We never did, tried 2X and thrown out EASILY BOOTH TIMES! (16U)
---- from 1B to 2B, maybe if the catcher is dreaming

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
To execute a successful suicide squeeze there are two critical elements -- the runner on third has to break for home without hesitation or concern about being tagged out at the plate, and the batter HAS TO make contact with the ball no matter where it's pitched. She doesn't have to bunt it fair although that's ideal, but she must get a bat on the ball to prevent the runner from being nailed at the plate.

We practice bunting for the suicide squeeze specificlally. I pitch and throw the ball all over the plate. I will bounce pitches in, throw them way high, outside, inside, whatever. We were 2 for 2 on suicide squeezes this year. Might've done more but we developed a bad habit of falling several runs behind about halfway through the year.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
Yupper Ken.. agree on Suicide Squeezes..... I'll bunt w/ runner at 3B and 2 ouot and with bases loaded, beacuse I am a huge believer in the short game.... puttng pressure on the defense with our 60 foot base paths....
(NOT a believer in very many succesful Delayed steals from 3B for ouor level, though)

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
hal - by NO means am I disagreeing with you, I just can't imagine playing a well coached team and pulling off a successful Delay from 3B........... unless you already have the pitcher or catcher rattled.
** I DID rattle a very good team once with Fake Bunt-Hit away (corners come up, we pull back and hit away, they play back, we bunt, did this for 4th & 5th innings as we just couldn't hit the pitcher 1st 3 innings -- Defense was flustered and BOTH CATCHER and PITCHER were removed from the game!)
** A friend of MINE - pulled THIS play - HE has guts! Bases loaded and on Ball 3, Batter starts to 1B and all runners advance, batter of course has to come back to the plate, BUBUT defense didn't react to the runners moving up because they just think we mis-counted the balls/strikes, and the runne at 3B SCORES!!!!!! THAT GUTSY!

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
** A friend of MINE - pulled THIS play - HE has guts! Bases loaded and on Ball 3, Batter starts to 1B and all runners advance, batter of course has to come back to the plate, BUBUT defense didn't react to the runners moving up because they just think we mis-counted the balls/strikes, and the runne at 3B SCORES!!!!!! THAT GUTSY!

HA!

That's awesome. I can imagine the confusion :D

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
Ha, I am learning some here....we tried the squeeze twice last tournament as a learning experience, without the game on the line. first attempt was a foul ball, & second attempt was a score.....as for the guy who sent his runners on ball 3...........Im saying he has more guts than brains......1 more ball & they walk home.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
as for the guy who sent his runners on ball 3...........Im saying he has more guts than brains......1 more ball & they walk home.

True, but one more strike could be the end of the game too.

Either way, this play requires some serious "heads up". All the runners and the batter need to know that it's going on. (or at the very least, the batter and runner on third...maybe doesn't matter so much what the other two runners do)

Certainly sounds like something that requires alot of work in practice, for an opportunity that may never come up in a game.

Jul 17, 2009
True, but one more strike could be the end of the game too.

Either way, this play requires some serious "heads up". All the runners and the batter need to know that it's going on. (or at the very least, the batter and runner on third...maybe doesn't matter so much what the other two runners do)

Certainly sounds like something that requires alot of work in practice, for an opportunity that may never come up in a game.

but one half-way alert catcher and it's an out. OR coaches doing their jobs yelling "tag the runner"....im not saying it isnt an interesting play though-i love stuff like that

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06