scoring from 3b

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
situation- runner on 3b or 2b & 3b, less than 2 out & need the run bad.what are your pet plays for scoring the run when you can hear the other coach telling the team to make the play at home, & ignore the baserunner going to first on a ground ball or a bunt?? any tips on teaching the suicide squeeze?

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Bunt and have the runner on 3rd ready to go. If they want to let you try to load the bases, chances are you will win.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
that would be my normal strategy too, but in a last inning situation where you only need 1 to win, having bases loaded is more of a hinderance than a help.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
depends on my batter AND my On-DECK BATTER! You need to know WHO your On-Deck batter is to know what your chances are.
Also if your current batter is a good contact hitter, I'd let her hit away, if less experienced batter, (not confident in our chances with her doing something productive), then I would be bunting. ** NOT all our batters hit well!
(My experienced batters know to look for outside pitch and try and hit a slow roller to second base side. NOT Hard cause we are choking up and punching down on the ball with a soft swing to hit to 2B (UNLESS 2B is playing the line). You have to practice situational hitting to be successful. (I'm with a 16U team that barely can bunt, let alone hit to 2B side. Good teams would pitch us outside ALL Day if they realized we can't go with the pitch.)
Soooooooooo, bottom line, if statistics are against our On Deck batter, I would recommend to have your batter at the plate either hit to right side or TRY and lift one to OF. (HS this year: We had bases loaded and our best hitter up with less then 2 out in bottom of 13th, and all I asked her to do is launch one. Didn't care if it was caught as runner at 3rd was game winning run! She did and we won.)

Jan 15, 2009
I agree with jimingas. Evaluate who is at the plate and on deck.

If there are 2 outs and you don't feel confident in the batter's ability to hit, but do feel confident in the runner I'm okay with trying to draw a throw at third base or delay steal home. That's at least two throws (more if you get in a rundown) under pressure that have to go right to get you out at home and that can be the right play if the batter's behind in the count and you've got a heady baserunner.

I know it sounds risky but how many times have you watched a weak hitter fail to drive in the run in from third with 2 outs and wished you'd taken a chance with the baserunner?

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
snocatz- I am with you 100%. I have been trying to send the runner so far down the line she draws the throw with little success. I am now going to work on the delay steal with the girls as well as the squeeze, both with the idea that they need to be ready to throw on the brakes & look to get in a rundow if they are running into an out. suzie strikeout has killed me one too many times with the game on the line. at this point I want to at least give us a chance when we are in the weak part of the lineup.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This is where the bunting drills you practiced all winter pays off. I love the suicide squeeze.

BUT: the players have to know the difference between a sacrifice bunt and bunting for a hit. Your batter has to know that she will be *OUT*, and that she will be rewarded by praise for getting the bunt down.

I don't know how many times I've seen players blow a stolen base attempt or a suicide squeeze by not concentrating on getting the bunt down.

Most coaches also give up on bunting after the batter gets two strikes. But, I've found that that is the perfect time for a suicide squeeze. The corners move back a couple of steps, and the runner at third can walk in.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
I agree with "know your batter & on deck batter", but also know your runner on 3rd. Is she confident of her stealing ability in case of a passed ball? Does she follow the 3rd base coaches instruction, or hesitate when told to GO? Does she read the situation well - fake throw to 1st on bunt then throw to home - and react to it well?

In our situation (12U 1st yr B team), I would still attempt a bunt with a delayed steal and make sure the runner CHARGES first like she's running from the bulls in Pampalona (or maybe she's the bull?) to put as much pressure on the fielders as possible (they're probably tense already knowing the situation). Runner on third takes a good lead and flies home when she sees the ball in the air towards first.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
We got burned in this situation earlier this year.

There were runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out... Runner on 2nd broke for 3rd even though it was occupied.

Our catcher got confused (with all the fielders yelling "STEAL", as they do) and fired to 3rd. Runner on 3rd just walked home

Jan 15, 2009
We got burned in this situation earlier this year.

There were runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out... Runner on 2nd broke for 3rd even though it was occupied.

Our catcher got confused (with all the fielders yelling "STEAL", as they do) and fired to 3rd. Runner on 3rd just walked home

I know several teams that run this as a set play to cause confusion. My suggestion to you would be to teach your kids to run it offensively, use it sparingly, but learning how to execute it on offense teaches them to recognize it on defense.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06