Runners at 2B and 3B

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
A month ago, while reading through threads on base-running from a couple years ago, I came across an intriguing post by a poster named quincy on a "Runners on 2B and 3B" thread. This quincy posted the following:

"Howard Dobson, currently LSU’s hitting coach, stated that when there are runners on 2nd and 3rd they are always going when the ball is hit on the ground. It doesn’t matter how many outs, game score, runners, batter, etc. They are going, no exceptions. The runner on 3rd base responsibility is that if they are going to be an easy out at home is to hold up before the plate so the batter can make it to 2nd."

In our team practices, I've proven to our runners that the odds are better than 50-50 that the runner at 3B can score when we do as Dobson suggests. I've also proven to our defense that it is usually harder to get the out at home than it is a 1B, so they had better field the ball quickly and cleanly and make a perfect snap throw home if they are going to get the out there.

I stress to the defense that they MUST get an out. Of course, the easiest out is generally at 1B. The best, but riskier out, is at home. They have to get and out!

I stress to the runners that they must be explosive in advancing once the ball is hit down.

I like this Dobson philosophy! I've been much to cautious with my runners when I've had runners at 2B and 3B.

Aug 9, 2013
My friend who coaches in HS follows the same theory. You'd be amazed at how many easy runs you can generate this way. Like I tell my girls, it takes 4 things to go right to make an out on those plays 1) Field the ball 2) Make a good throw 3) Catch the ball 4) Tag the runner.

At any age, it's not a given that all 4 will go right.

I do the same thing on offense. We score most of the time, the exceptions being when the throw is put in just the right place so the catcher can block the plate as she is receiving it. At 12U, that happens maybe one in ten attempts.

On defense, I find it so difficult to get that out at the plate that in all but tightest of games I play just my corners in and concede the run if the ball is hit to the middle infielders. The girls know they MUST get an out and the out at home is really hard to get.

Jun 24, 2013
And I have had luck with getting the out at first and then quickly firing home to get the runner that was on 2B coming home. We turned 2 double plays this past weekend doing that. They got 1 run, we got out of the innings quicker.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
The first time I mentioned this to my players (16U) they all thought I was crazy. Well, I proved my point by putting runners on 3B and 2B , put them in their lead-off positions, then hit grounders to in infielders. Boy, it was a lot harder for those infielders to get the out at home than at 1B. Further, seemed to be tougher for them to make a good throw home (for the tag) than it was to throw to 1B. I suppose it's due to their having much more experience/practice throwing to 1B. Further, they are so accustomed to getting their feet lined up for the throw to 1B that it takes a bit more thinking to get the feet lined up for that throw home.

I like these runners going on the hit (grounder) particularly when the runners are good, fast runners. Of course, some runners shouldn't attempt this, as they are very slow and/or overly uncertain with what they are doing.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
...I suppose it's due to their having much more experience/practice throwing to 1B...
I think it has more to do with the runners on base getting a 5' - 10' head start and the play at home being a tag play as opposed to force play at 1B.

sbm77 pretty sure the answer to your question is yes.

Jul 26, 2010
I agree with this philosophy. There are situations where I do not run it in HS play especially. I don't have the luxury of weeding out a few very slow runners that need about double the normally acceptable time to run 55 feet.

-W

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
I think it has more to do with the runners on base getting a 5' - 10' head start and the play at home being a tag play as opposed to force play at 1B.

sbm77 pretty sure the answer to your question is yes.

Ive met Howard twice and got to talk ball. very aggressive offensive mentality and quite a coach/character.

I know for sure this strategy is tied to getting an early jump at third, exploding off full speed, and no hesitation home. That part is a key element in his overall strategy.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Oh don't get me wrong, I full approve of the strategy, I was just pointing out why the play at home is tougher than the one at 1st.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors