Runners at 2B and 3B

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
With this strategy, do you worry about line drive out and being doubled up at 3B or a swing and miss and the C throws down to 3rd base for the pick-off?

If the ball is hit to the left side or the pitcher we normally wait for the throw to 1B and then home. At 12U, the run scores almost every time. Sometimes they check the runner and fake throw to 1B and all runners are safe as long as they didn't take too big a lead at 3B.

But it is an interesting and aggressive strategy you are suggesting. I do like the idea of putting the pressure on the defense to make the play. I guess it would also depend on the game situation and how many outs. With no outs I don't know if you need to take the chance at 3rd base scoring on a routine grounder since you have many ways to score without taking the risk. Some examples, passed ball/wild pitch, bunt squeeze, base hit, sacrifice fly, fielding error, and ball hit to the right side, is the defense playing back and the conceding the run or are they cheating in and coming home with it? Lots of variable to consider before I would say go home no matter what.

Jun 11, 2013
Rocket, I don't see the risk or running on all ground balls. If they get you out you either steal 2nd or just have the batter keep going. The only think I would look to change is a grounder to the left side I might have runner on 2nd hold until they throw it somewhere.

Feb 7, 2013
Rocket, I don't see the risk or running on all ground balls. If they get you out you either steal 2nd or just have the batter keep going. The only think I would look to change is a grounder to the left side I might have runner on 2nd hold until they throw it somewhere.

One of my concerns was the aggressive lead-off from 3B where a line drive would double you up or hard hit ground ball to SS or 3rd baseman. Increases the odds of getting you out at home. But I understand the logic that if they are going to make an out anyways at 1B you might as well try for home because if you get out and now its runner on 1st & 3rd with an opportunity with 2nd & 3rd after the next pitch because of the steal. I might be convinced....I see your point?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
What you're looking for on this play is what's called "angle down." The baserunners have to be paying attention, and read that the ball is going down after it hits the bat. If it does that it will be a ground ball.

Part of what you're counting on, though, is the pressure and confusion of the play. When the ball is hit a few things can happen:

• Ball is fielded and fielder throws to first. Automatic run.
  • Ball is fielded and fielder throws home. Runner beats ball home and scores, runner on second moves to third AND while everyone else is focused on the plate, batter/runner cruises into second. Rinse and repeat.
  • Same as the second one, only fielding team makes the play at the plate and gets the out. Odds are the defense forgets about the batter/runner, and worst case scenario you have runners on second and third again with either one or two outs. Not ideal, but an acceptable tradeoff.
  • Ball is fielded, bad throw, runners from second and third both score, batter/runner is on second.

Or it can go down like it did for us in a dome game this winter. Ball hit to SS, she throws home, gets the out. Defensive team realizes too late that the batter/runner is going to second, tries to get the out, fails. Runner who had been on second and is now on third scores. So we end up with a run, a runner on second, and one more out. I'll trade a run for an out just about any time, unless it's the end of the game and we're down a few.

The only exception I make is a comebacker to the pitcher. If that happens we'll stop and wait for the throw. Unless we know the pitcher is not a very good fielder.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
Anytime I hear "always" about anything, it throws up a red flag for me. And, like someone else stated, the "always" part ceases to exist on a comebacker to the pitcher. It's a long long run from 3rd to home when the pitcher has the ball and there's about 40 feet left for the runner to get home. I instruct my pitcher to pick up the lead runner first. But yes on all other ground balls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing