rules clarification

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2012
Runners on 3b and on 2b. Hard hit ball to SS.runner on 3b scores. Runner on 2b proceeds to 3b pauses let's ball pass to avoid the ball hitting her possibly blocks SS view of the ball. ball hits SS in the ankle everyone's safe. Ump calls interference on runner from 2b. Runner is out. Original runner on 3b has to go back to 3b run taken off the board. is this interference is this the correct call.

Jul 2, 2013
I have seen it called both ways. The runner does not need to make contact for it to be interference.

Sometime depends on the level of play. At the younger ages it is called interference more frequently. The older ages, the umpires like to see contact to call it. Also at the older ages, the defender will charge the ball harder, initiate the contact, and get the call for the defense.

Going by your description, the defender was hit in the leg, possibly would not have been hit in the leg had a runner not distracted her line of sight. It was the umpires JUDGEMENT the runner interfered.

It is a judgement call.

For example, a base runner cannot deliberately stand between the defender, and batted ball, then scoot out of the way so the ball does not hit the runner, and thereby distract (interfere) with the defender.

Last edited:
May 13, 2012
Seen two plays exacatly like that this yr in allstars. One at 2nd and one at SS. Both times the runner slowed with eyes on ball avoiding contact with it. Both instances I felt like it did cause the fielder to miss the catch. No call in both occurances. Our team was running in both cases and this was 13-14 olds. I don't think I have ever seen this called against the runner.

Jun 22, 2008
It is a had to be there situation. If the runner physically stopped short of passing in front of the fielder and gave room to field the ball I dont see an interference call. But, it is illegal to stop or hesitate in front of the fielder or intentionally time the crossing in front of the fielder to block the view of the ball.

May 31, 2012
I'm sorry it was bases loaded. To complicate things even further runner on 1b tries to go first to third and is tagged out and runner on 2b scores. Umpires ruling runner on 3b goes back to 3b. Runner on 2b is out for interference. Runner 1b is out from tag at 3rd. Hitter stays at 1b. No runs.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I'm sorry it was bases loaded. To complicate things even further runner on 1b tries to go first to third and is tagged out and runner on 2b scores. Umpires ruling runner on 3b goes back to 3b. Runner on 2b is out for interference. Runner 1b is out from tag at 3rd. Hitter stays at 1b. No runs.

Not possible. R3 cannot be called out after the INT call.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoebeschultz