Replanting, advantage to the pitcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BLB

May 19, 2008
Replanting seems to be present among some of the top college pitchers as well as world class international pitchers. Has anyone actually made an objective study to evaluate a potential advantage that might exist for the pitcher? Speed and control can be measured objectively up to a certain point. Movement would have to be more subjective with endurance less so. There are other factors to consider as well. There are lots of opinions but is there actual data to support these opinions? Also, the possible effect on a pitcher's stride knee using or not using the replant technique?

Jan 24, 2009
Anecdotal, but I have seen a fair amount of replanters and the thing they seem to have in common is they tend to throw faster than legal pitchers of similar age. It is a little annoying because they never get called for this in my area and it does seem to be an advantage at the younger ages.

Case in point is the 9yo with replant whose clip is posted on this site now. She is said to throw 40,41,42 mph. Nothing against the little girl, but if an umpire did decide to uphold the rules, she would likely have to be replaced at pitcher because this muscle memory isn't something that can be changed in a 60 second coaches visit to the mound. It is a repetition-reinforced, memorized part of trained mechanics that will take time (and struggles) to unlearn.

I'm no expert. This opinion plus $5 might buy you a cup of Joe at Starbucks.
VW

May 7, 2008
Tucson
All I know about it, is that I replant (at 55) because it does give me an advantage. It puts me closer to the plate. Maybe it is the push off, maybe it is the closeness, or maybe it is psychological.

I do not teach it, nor do I allow the girls to pitch that way. They never see me pitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck