Re-injured

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
After a good week in softball...making the new 18U A team and being told she'd be moved up to varsity, DD re injured her ankle. She was asked to catch in two games today after the regular catcher got a concussion. She hasn't caught in 3 years. Did a fine job and then went to TB practice for a little bit to be at a team meeting. Only got the last half hour of practice and while going hard for a grounder, her ankle gave out on her. Doctor said shes probably done for the HS season. Shes so upset...really wanted to letter her freshman year.
It's only softball, but it's so important for her.
Back to visual training again!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
So sorry to hear.

If its any consolation, I believe if they have to get injured ( mine did her sophomore year ) best to get it out of the way and let it fully heal. Even if that means a few months off or a year. Junior and Senior year HEALTHY is what we all pray for, especially for college exposure.

So sorry to hear.

If its any consolation, I believe if they have to get injured ( mine did her sophomore year ) best to get it out of the way and let it fully heal. Even if that means a few months off or a year. Junior and Senior year HEALTHY is what we all pray for, especially for college exposure.

Couldnt have said it better myself GD but still a major bummer .....hope its not as bad as the doctor says.

Oct 10, 2011
I have to ask why is there 18u travel practice during HS season?

And even if so, why do travel practice after catching two games?

They practice once a week during the season and they had a mandatory meeting after this one so we had to go. She didn't haveto go out for the last half hour, but she wanted too.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
That must be really tough for your daughter, and I am sorry to hear that. Hopefully, she'll be ready to go for TB. Big question is that you mentioned this was a "reinjury" to same ankle I presume- and it rolled on her. As a former b-ball player- I can sympathize with this. I had a bad injury in college where I tore ligaments in my ankle. From that time, not only did I wear hi-tops (which I wore anyway), but I always had additional ankle support in the way of taping or a brace- and I was able to go back to playing. My DD wears hi-top cleats, she likes them, maybe your DD should talk to PT or trainer to see what options would work to give her ankle some additional support?

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
My younger DD won junior high ohio state championship 100 meter hurdles. Broke the high school record, which did not count being she was in junior high.
Tore her ACL freshman year...out basketball and track
soph, junior year worked her way back to regionals then senior year in basketball 3rd game tore her other ACL. Out senior year basketball and track.

SHe is a senior this year...really bummed her out. Her focus is to try and play D1 as a walk on.

Keep your head up. Most important is good health, good grades. Best to you on the journey.

ps. I wonder if you can wear those actice ankle supports in softball??? My girls used them in volleyball to prevent injury.

SL

Oct 10, 2011
Active ankle

Thanks SL, she actually has Active ankles because she plays volleyball also. She said it is harder to use them with softball...especially sliding. We may try using them on her injured leg only because it's her left leg and shes right handed. She might be able to slide better that way. The physical therapist actually didn't want her to wear a brace at all. Coach said she won't be allowed back on the field without one.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
First of all sorry to hear about the injury, there is never a good time for one.
Secondly, I would never go to a PT for advice on how to properly field a bunt, so conversely I don't go to the coach with advice on when a brace is or is not required. If the PT says no brace there must be a reason, one thing people don't realize is when you stabilize one joint, the twisting and force does not disappear, it is transferred, often times to the knee. In the 60s you rarely heard of a mens basketball player hurting his knee, but tons of ankle injuries, as the shoes got better and more supportive, you see less ankle injuries but more knee injuries.

Oct 10, 2011
First of all sorry to hear about the injury, there is never a good time for one.
Secondly, I would never go to a PT for advice on how to properly field a bunt, so conversely I don't go to the coach with advice on when a brace is or is not required. If the PT says no brace there must be a reason, one thing people don't realize is when you stabilize one joint, the twisting and force does not disappear, it is transferred, often times to the knee. In the 60s you rarely heard of a mens basketball player hurting his knee, but tons of ankle injuries, as the shoes got better and more supportive, you see less ankle injuries but more knee injuries.
That is why the PT didn't want her to wear a brace. But, she said if you must...to wear it on both legs. The Active ankles are made to use during activities, without allowing the ankle to "roll." Otherwise, you have pretty good range of motion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl