Rankings--

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
You were the one who suggested awards based on offense only..😉
I still believe offense is king. Lot easier to find a spot if you can hit. You can be very defensive LFer but if can't hit they will find someone else.
Just another thought, why would a player list her primary position as 2nd base or left field. Wonder how many TB SSs and CFs play 2nd base and LF in college. A little harsh but.... Thoughts? Are they selling themselves short?

Apr 14, 2022
OPS while I like it a lot, has always bothered me slightly. Hits are counted twice, and you add numbers with different denominators.
I think I prefer (tb + bb)/pa.

Sep 3, 2013
Illinois
I still believe offense is king. Lot easier to find a spot if you can hit. You can be very defensive LFer but if can't hit they will find someone else.
Just another thought, why would a player list her primary position as 2nd base or left field. Wonder how many TB SSs and CFs play 2nd base and LF in college. A little harsh but.... Thoughts? Are they selling themselves short?
Agreed. You can play the best defense in the history of the position and still go an entire game without a ball hit to you. You are guaranteed 3 to 4 PAs per game. You have to hit if you want to play.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Agreed. You can play the best defense in the history of the position and still go an entire game without a ball hit to you. You are guaranteed 3 to 4 PAs per game. You have to hit if you want to play.
That depends on the position. If you're an outfielder, that's more likely, but if you're an infielder, that's much less likely. And if you're a catcher, it never happens. There's a reason there's the DP/Flex rule in softball, and that's for this very thing. In baseball, I can see it being much more common. As a pitcher's parent, I'd rather have a lights-out catcher who didn't even hit than one with a big bat but couldn't catch.

Jun 8, 2016
The original comment was on a .175 difference in OPS. It wasn't comparing Mario Mendoza to ARod..

Sep 3, 2013
Illinois
That depends on the position. If you're an outfielder, that's more likely, but if you're an infielder, that's much less likely. And if you're a catcher, it never happens. There's a reason there's the DP/Flex rule in softball, and that's for this very thing. In baseball, I can see it being much more common. As a pitcher's parent, I'd rather have a lights-out catcher who didn't even hit than one with a big bat but couldn't catch.
I've seen a defensive wizard at SS with a weak bat get put in the 9 hole. Depending on how game is going when the 9 hole comes up to bat determines if the player hits, gets PH for and then re-enters, or gets straight substituted.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I've seen a defensive wizard at SS with a weak bat get put in the 9 hole. Depending on how game is going when the 9 hole comes up to bat determines if the player hits, gets PH for and then re-enters, or gets straight substituted.
I was actually reminded of Ozzie Smith by this post.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves