Politics in College Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I need to talk to the manager please! The All Conference Awards were announced this week for DD's Conference and it ignited a fire storm in the parent group chat. Needless to say we were surprised at some of the selections. It was very biased to the top teams as were the weekly hitter/pitcher awards. You would think if a kid is 2nd in HR's and 4th in RBI's, was batting .427, single digit K's, High Slugging and OBP when the voting took place she would be an automatic 1st team selection. Nope. 2nd Team. Team MVP too. One of the selections only had 72 AB's while the rest were over 100, .444, 0 HR's and only 2 Dbls, she shouldn't even qualify since she didn't play full time. A player on another team had an awesome year as well, and I truly thought 1st team all the way. Nope 2nd team. One of our pitchers went 8-2 and didn't even get Honorable Mention. One of our OF's had 5 Hr's, 27 RBI's and batted .331--3rd team. Meanwhile an OF with only 3 HR's, 16 Rbi's, .333 gets 1st team!!! These are legit stats not Max Prep HS stats. Do these people think we are stupid? Very disappointing and Pathetic. Do better ASC Conference!!!

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
One time Rafael Palmerio won the gold glove in MLB by playing a whole 27 games at 1B. It's probably not politics but it likely goes something like coaches votes and they delegate it to an assistance who may or may not care.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
I don’t know if college is the same as HS, I think it is though. In HS (in my DD’s league) the first place team got 4 first team spots, second and third got 3, 4th and 5th got one.
The teams then chose which players would get the award.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
Its locking my jaw up right now and I don't even have a horse in the race. I think this might come under the "money talks, BS walks" category.
Well then you put too much stock in what other people think about your kid. It’s a sports award, not an unfair awarding of a kidney. Of course I doubt I will ever be in a situation where I have to put my money where my mouth is (continuing with your currency theme..)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802