Proud dad thread....DD just named pitcher of the year

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My last "proud dad" thread of the year! DD was just named pitcher of the year. After reading the interview, her mother and I are glad she choose an engineering school! LOL

http://www.forsythnews.com/section/108/article/26226/

Softball_POY_Huey_112814_web.jpg
SOFTBALL PITCHER OF THE YEAR: Katherine Huey, South Forsyth
Micah Green/Forsyth County News
South Forsyth sophomore Katherine Huey earned Forsyth County News softball Pitcher of the Year honors after going 16-4 with a 1.49 ERA (116 1/3 IP) to help lead South to the second round of the Class AAAAAA state playoffs.

A year ago, South Forsyth’s Katherine Huey was thrust into the starting pitcher’s role as a freshman on a team that expected to be a state playoff contender. The Lady War Eagles made it, but when the playoffs arrived the nerves of the moment got to Huey and South in a first-round sweep by Grayson.

A year later, Huey returned more polished on the mound and more resilient between the ears, staking her claim as the county’s top pitcher in going 16-4 with 131 strikeouts in 116 1/3 innings and a 1.49 ERA.

And when South did return to the state playoffs, Huey was ready. In five appearances, she allowed just two earned runs in 27 innings while giving up 14 hits and striking out 21.

Question: What were your goals heading into this season?

Huey: “I knew I wanted to do better than I did last year and try to get to state. Just to help my team as a whole and help the freshmen and be a leader even though I was a sophomore. And I knew that I wanted to be Pitcher of the Year and just do the best that I could.”

Q: Where did you want to improve your skills the most?

Huey: “My walks and getting my pitch count down. I know my freshman year I threw a lot more pitches than I did this year. It made me a lot more tired. I could pitch full games, but it was a lot harder. This year I felt I could pitch as many innings as I wanted because I could bring my pitch count down.”

Q: What was the highlight of your season?

Huey: “Winning the second game against Brookwood [in the second round of the Class AAAAAA playoffs]. It was an amazing feeling knowing that we were still in it and that we had a chance.”

Q: How did you get connected with Purdue, and why did you commit to them?

Huey: “They said they had been watching me since I was in eighth grade. I went to Colorado to play with New Jersey Intensity. Their coach is really close with [Purdue’s] assistant coach. I went on a tour in September and I just fell in love with it, fell in love with the coaches and how it just felt like one big family.”

Q: What are your goals for next season?

Huey: “Definitely going to state and making the top eight, getting through the first and second round of the playoffs and getting to go to Columbus because I’ve known so many people who’ve gone. And just doing the best we can and coming first in the region.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom