Pre-Game hitting drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
Do you do a pre-game hitting drill?

The last 3 years I have done either soft-toss or front toss with either softball wiffle balls, foam balls and even wiffle golf balls.

This year we are using the JUGS small balls tossed from the front about 10-15ft. My assistant has questioned this warm up. She thinks that since on any one given night a girl has issues hitting them that is destroying their confidence before the start of the game. That same girl the next time may rip all of them past her.

I like the drill has it makes the girls have to concentrate prior to the game and if they are not hitting there they better get the head back on and where it needs to be.

Do we keep this up or do I change? This is 10U team.

Other pregame drills to replace?

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I do the same type. I change it up a little every game. #1 Side toss into net with regular softballs, front toss with golf whiffle balls, bunting station. #2 front toss with lite-flite balls, front toss with golf whiffle balls, bunting station. #3 Tee hitting either net or no net depending on how much room we have with regular softballs, front toss with golf whiffle balls, bunting station.

jay

Mar 29, 2010
holland, oh
i'm a believer that all the girls should feel the bat hit the ball before a game. the objective may not be so much to coach and fix things but to just make sure they connect good with a few. i throw rapid bp before every game using myself as the live pitcher. if a girl hits three good ones in a row, she's out of there. if a girl struggles, we work a little bit. if we run out of time and she's still struggling, i'll have an assistant do soft toss with her just prior to the game. again, the goal is to make sure they feel a few good solid connections before the game...more mental than physical.

Oct 21, 2009
i saw a team that all had wooden baseball bats they used for their pre-game warmups. THe wooden bats were 4-6 OZs heavier than their regular bats. I assume to strengthen their arms and get loose before the game. They used them primarily for hitting wiffles, doing soft toss and bunting. Since they did this on a regular basis I assume it didn't mess with their swing mechanics.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06