Possibly playing daughter down?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Hello everyone,

Our 8u daughter is at the literal cutoff 8/31 for USA softball age, so she'll always be the youngest player not only in her class, but softball as well in the first year she moves up in any age group. I know some leagues allow players to play down. Right on her 9th birthday she'll be aged up to 10u.

She's one of the best players in our current league, but we're looking to move to a league a town over. Some of her friends from last season moved over and they love it because there are a lot more girls, so there's a lot more competition.

We went to see one of their games last week and their skill level is definitely better than our league. The pitchers were crazy good. My daughter saw them pitch and when we were leaving, she said she wanted to practice when we got home. So she definitely sees it too. She loves pitching regardless and will probably have asked to practice later on in the day, but I think her seeing the skill difference lit some kind of fire in her :)

Anyway, I was wondering what would happen as far as age restrictions during tournament play, all-stars, etc. Since she's above the 8u threshold, would that disqualify her from playing any tournaments or all stars if she did make the 8u (played down) team?

One concern we also have is that she's small. She's got an athletic build, but she's only 47" tall. The physical difference between her and the older 10u girls is kind of a worry.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022
Play her at her age level. She’ll get better playing better. Never ever play down in my opinion. It all evens out in the end. Also USA is not the only sanction and the others have different rules usually January 1 so she won’t be super young for those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Play her at her age level. She’ll get better playing better. Never ever play down in my opinion. It all evens out in the end. Also USA is not the only sanction and the others have different rules usually January 1 so she won’t be super young for those.

Thanks for your input. This is what I'm leaning towards also. One of her besties from the same league is also going to move over and she'll move up to 10u with her, but given how many kids there are, they probably won't end up on the same team. Still I think them playing each other will still be fun for them.

Jan 20, 2023
My daughter is right at the Dec cut off. She didn’t love not getting to play with her friends and always being the youngest- but skill wise she got an extra 14u year before highschool try outs and is ahead of most of her classmates skill wise. Now she will tell you that it wasn’t as fun but it was worth it. (I would take a different look at this if you kid was struggling skill wise- but since they are doing great- let them try the challenge IMO)

My daughter twice played up a year more than she had to- because of team availability and to see if she was challenged more - before biting the bullet and going comp.

My daughter is right at the Dec cut off. She didn’t love not getting to play with her friends and always being the youngest- but skill wise she got an extra 14u year before highschool try outs and is ahead of most of her classmates skill wise. Now she will tell you that it wasn’t as fun but it was worth it. (I would take a different look at this if you kid was struggling skill wise- but since they are doing great- let them try the challenge IMO)

My daughter twice played up a year more than she had to- because of team availability and to see if she was challenged more - before biting the bullet and going comp.
Thanks, yeah she sticks out like a sore thumb on her team in a good way. She basically carries the team even though there's a pitcher better than her. We're just a bit worried about her size, given that she's tiny (but mighty).

Aug 5, 2022
Thanks, we're probably just concerned about her size more than anything. Hopefully she grows a bit over the summer :)

Don’t worry about her size. If it’s just because she’s young it will even out in the end. If she’s generally going to be small genetically she has to learn how to be small and effective so either way age group is best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish