Possible concussion

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My son had chronic migraines, since he was 5. He missed a huge amount of school in 8th grade. Finally Children's hospital was able to treat him, when he got old enough.

But, as an adult, he has weaned himself off all of the awful medications and he uses medical cannabis, now. Az. is one of the few states that has legalized it. He is now headache free, for the first time in 25 years.

I am trying to think what helped his as a child - it was something about releasing his endorphins, by listening to tapes at a psychologist's office. I can't think of the name of the treatments.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
Does your DD wear glasses, or contacts? I went through a spell as an adult where I had a constant head ache for about 3 weeks. Turned out that my new job required working under a micro scope and I had eye fatigue. 2 days contacts, and 1 day with glasses alternated for 2 weeks cleared it up.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The biggest problem with concussions is that there is no way for a definitive diagnosis. One of the few worthwhile things that I have seen our local school district come up with is mandatory baseline concussion testing for all athletes. It is done on a PC and I believe it takes about 20-30 minutes. Then when a kid takes one on the noggin they have them seek medical attention and use the baseline as a diagnostic tool and as part of the return to activity protocol.

Nov 14, 2011
Does your DD wear glasses, or contacts? I went through a spell as an adult where I had a constant head ache for about 3 weeks. Turned out that my new job required working under a micro scope and I had eye fatigue. 2 days contacts, and 1 day with glasses alternated for 2 weeks cleared it up.

I forgot about that. We have taken my dd to at least 3 different optometrists for her headaches (advice by family doctor). She wears contacts. Each time we go they "tweak" her prescription but nothing has helped.

Nov 14, 2011
Our school district doesn't, but I wished they did. We have had some real serious issues with some of our HS sports in the past including one kid who was paralyzed playing football. You would think our school district would take injuries more serious. There are a couple school districts near me that require a drug test for all extra curricular activities, but ours doesn't do that either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44