POLL~ Have you ever went to overhand throwing lessons?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Went to overhand throwing lessons

• Yes

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 42.1%

• Total voters

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Is that even a thing? Players should be playing the game and throwing all of the time. I don't believe that in my almost 4 decades of coaching that I have had one player go to throwing lessons. We do cover throwing in our practices.

Oct 4, 2018
No, but we worked on several Wasserman drills and feel that was a good use of time. We still warm up throwing with one of his drills.

Between HS and travel teams, I do see about 5% of girls who just don't have the right mechanics. I always wonder if coaches and parents notice it. I suspect they do, and I suspect they largely ignore it.

May 13, 2023
YES people teach overhand throwing!
Players gotta start somewhere!
And
Players with goals
who are already throwing okay
can learn to throw great!

Throwing is one of those things where family/players/ coaches with teams don't always have the time or know how to fix/help individual technical issues.

Jul 11, 2023
Do you count buying/implementing the High Level Throwing materials as going to lessons?

Either way we have taken it upon ourselves and don't rely on the team doing wrist flicks for instruction.

May 13, 2023
who just don't have the right mechanics. I always wonder if coaches and parents notice it. I suspect they do, and I suspect they largely ignore it.
This story came to mind...

When doing defensive training with an 18u team. Came to meet two sisters on the team.
Older One was a pitcher and had pitching lessons for about 5 years.
Her younger sister 15, happened to be left-handed and couldn't throw over hand very well at all. Rainbows and side spin.

Many times on New Year's Day I offer free lessons to select players. On this particular New Year's I offered free lessons to the left-handed player.
We detailed technical things that needed to be addressed. Gave her some drills to work on. (She was a player I knew would take the teaching home and work on it.) She did!
She put work in every day for 2 weeks! Amazingly in that 2 weeks she was throwing level and across the field accurately.
It did not turn into some high-speed velocity Canon. But within a month she became a more productive useful player on the roster.

What stood out about this is how the parent paid for lessons for his pitcher daughter all that time and overlooked the left-handed daughter and getting her some help that greatly changed her softball experience.

Overhand throwing lessons can help!

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023
My daughter is signed up for a Wasserman clinic. I also have her batting coach (a catching coach too) helping her over the off season. She’s always had a bit of an awkward throw and it has improved a ton with a little focus. It’s definitely her weakness relative to catching, throwing, batting and pitching. She nailed one first to third the other weekend in a game. So it’s been effective to put some focus on it. Going into freshman year in highschool - she knows 3rd and SS graduated and would like to make a solid run at varsity as a freshman.

Sep 19, 2018
never paid lessons. But our org starts winter workouts (for all age groups) at the most basic levels of fielding and throwing. After a couple of weeks, the workouts are broken up by age (10-12, 14-up), to allow for more age specific workouts.

Nov 9, 2021
No, but we worked on several Wasserman drills and feel that was a good use of time. We still warm up throwing with one of his drills.

Between HS and travel teams, I do see about 5% of girls who just don't have the right mechanics. I always wonder if coaches and parents notice it. I suspect they do, and I suspect they largely ignore it.

I have tried helping a few older girls with bad throwing mechanics but it is tough. They have done the same bad mechanics for so long it is hard to get away from. Very similar to when pitchers have to switch their form.

Emphasizing throwing correctly at young ages should be a major part of their age groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles