Pocket Radar readings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I tried it in my car today. It measured the same as my speedometer most of the time, sometimes 1 mph difference. Air temp was 50 and it was in my car. It measures right through the windshield.

Jan 20, 2023
Now I want to buy one and test it.

My daughter saw a 2-3 mph difference two days apart in cruising speed between a 30 degree barn and a 70 degree practice- but it was different pocket radars and different operations. At the end of her season.

She used to nordic ski race- so working out in the cold is pretty normal for her- but this was the first sustained cold snap of the year.

ETA - she says the barn is great cause you’re not all sweaty in your speed record photos like the kids that have heat 🤣

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
The best way to test this hypothesis is with a Jugs machine inside and outside with at least 30° difference in temperature. Anything else, and the numbers are impacted by variations in motion, delivery, looseness of the pitcher, etc...

Unfortunately, my Jugs machine is away for the winter already.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I don’t remember my Jugs doing the same thing. It had those 2b long rechargeable batteries. A little more juice than 2 AAA’s.
I remember weather having a direct effect on the pitchers.

Jul 27, 2021
Factors that will affect a ball in flight: wind,
humidity, temperature and air pressure.

Google some physics to your hearts delight.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
The best way to test this hypothesis is with a Jugs machine inside and outside with at least 30° difference in temperature. Anything else, and the numbers are impacted by variations in motion, delivery, looseness of the pitcher, etc...

Unfortunately, my Jugs machine is away for the winter already.
You'll have to keep the Jugs machine inside to control it's environment and shoot balls out the window where the radar is. That'll get you some funny looks from anyone who walks by.

Oct 4, 2018
Is it possible the pitcher actually slows down from the tightness of the cold or being off-season versus the radar being off?

This seems far more likely to me.

One of the Pocket Radar employees posts here some. We had some interesting discussions you can find here in the archives/old threads. One was how Pocket Radar works the same in bright sun as it does in the dark. I personally don't think temps (unless so extreme you wouldn't be pitching) make any difference.

Just my opinion. I too have never tested this.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414