Player responsibility VS. Parents responsibilty

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
As DD was growing up we definitely had a transition period (several years) where DW and myself started by handling almost everything to gradually DD handling more and more of the responsibility herself. DD's first involvement in sports was CYO basketball and AYSO soccer at the age of 5 (she added tee ball at 6). We handled virtually everything other than playing the game at that point. As she started to grow up, she handled more and more on her own. Between picking the sports she was involved in, what teams' she played for, whether or not she wanted to take private pitching lessons, and even input on who that coach was going to be. We transitioned almost completely when she was in high school, specifically her sophomore year. At that point in time she decided that she was no longer going to play high school basketball. DW and I both agreed with her decision, but stated that she needs to have a private talk with the coach to break the news. Other than driving her to school (she didn't have a license yet), she handled the entire situation herself.

This is likely going to vary from child to child based on their maturity level and other things. But ultimately I think part of the parent's responsibility is making sure their children become confident in those situations.

May 27, 2013
My apologies if that’s not what you meant. The way it was worded made it come across that way to me.

Jul 14, 2018
Or leave it all to someone else because their not an expert.

This is where I’m at with DD’s hitting. She has such a great coach, who goes over everything in great detail and makes sure DD knows not just what to do, but why she’s doing it. I hear DD during lessons now articulating flaws in her swing and working through corrections.

She is absolutely more knowledgeable than I about hitting at this point, so I almost never offer an opinion. Kind of like the time I posted something on the Softball Hitting Technical forum and went down in flames

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
" Yelling out a cue word here or there is fine "
I like "see the ball" or " nobody better" or "stay hot" or "you got this 7." NOTHING mechanical and definitely nothing that includes the word "don't." Like don't drop your back shoulder or don't swing at the high ones or you gotta stay in there, don't step out.
I mean hitting is hard enough. It requires no thinking. Game time is time to breath, relax , see the ball, hit the ball. the closer to unconscious the better.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Please forgive me for reposting stuff so many times. My favorite was a dad who sat behind the backstop calling his dd's pitches in both HS and TB regardless of what the catcher or coach called. It was so obvious that he was doing it that college coaches could not miss it.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Precisely!
Or leave it all to someone else because their not an expert. Just because a parent isn't an expert doesn't mean they can't assist at the correct time!

Many parents underestimate the value in just...being there. I don't want parents doing a lot of instructing at home unless they talk to me first. But I do want them to sit their butt on a bucket so our pitchers can throw to them. Or to take them to the batting cages once in a while. Or to go to the park to play catch if they're able. Or literally just being there to occasionally say "Hey, have you done your pitching work today?"

None of that requires an in-depth knowledge of the game, and only some of it requires even a basic level of hand-eye coordination (most of our pitchers are not yet at the point where they need a real catcher for safety reasons).