Player responsibility VS. Parents responsibilty

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
@Vertigo pick your brain please....
Do you have any examples you have seen in other parents who have taken the opposite approach?
Later becomming all overseeing powerful oz?

Oh yes! There is currently a player on our team where the one parent would constantly “coach” her during warm-ups, at bat, and in the field. Coach had words with said parent and told them that if it keeps up, she’d be off the team. That did correct that problem.

Recruiting-wise we had a parent who would take it upon themselves to go talk to college coaches about their kid during showcases. That player was asked not to come back.

I have also heard stories from dd’s PC about overbearing parents at lessons. It makes me shake my head. I am there to catch for her and that’s it. When she’s there she is supposed to listen to the PC. I keep quiet other than an occasional, “Nice pitch” or if I am asked my opinion on spin or movement.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I think there is another side to this coin. Parents who believe that taking Jenny to her favorite pitching instructed on Tuesday night for a half hour is somehow going to make Jenny a good pitcher come Sunday. What I have experienced, is generally the best players have a very active parent that knows the game (and are members of DFP)LOL . They go to the park and practice together. Other parents take their daughter to lessons and cant believe their DD is batting in the 12 hole. And those are the one that are shouting mechanical cues to their DD when she is in the box. Elbow up, stay back, don't dip your shoulder (my favorite), step straight towards the pitcher, fire your hips and so on.

Apr 28, 2014
I think there is another side to this coin. Parents who believe that taking Jenny to her favorite pitching instructed on Tuesday night for a half hour is somehow going to make Jenny a good pitcher come Sunday. What I have experienced, is generally the best players have a very active parent that knows the game (and are members of DFP)LOL . They go to the park and practice together. Other parents take their daughter to lessons and cant believe their DD is batting in the 12 hole. And those are the one that are shouting mechanical cues to their DD when she is in the box. Elbow up, stay back, don't dip your shoulder (my favorite), step straight towards the pitcher, fire your hips and so on.
Exactly. Drop off and pick up parents or those who let someone else handle it all and say I keep my mouth shut.. end up with a kid who gets shelled in games. I see it alot on our area.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
They go to the park and practice together.
This role is different for some people/parents~
1. Sometimes as a workout partner. Aka the assistant who soft tosses..plays catch...maybe a reminder once or twice.
Or
2. Taking over the individual workout time.
'You need to do this...'

Again i will say at a young age would see this as a parent offering structure to raise the child.
However when this happens at later years,
its something else...just imo.

May 27, 2013
And those are the one that are shouting mechanical cues to their DD when she is in the box. Elbow up, stay back, don't dip your shoulder (my favorite), step straight towards the pitcher, fire your hips and so on.

This was how our one parent was. All.the.time. You could see that it was really starting to wear on the player, where after the game she’d beg the parent to stop doing it.

I am lucky enough that if I see something that dd is doing wrong then I can mention to her between innings since I’m on the bench. The smart parents are the ones who see me making my rounds around the ball field and will nicely ask if I could tell their dd (insert cue word here) between innings.

Yelling out a cue word here or there is fine but harping on every little thing a player does that appears wrong will not help during a game. College coaches take notice of that, as well.

Jun 8, 2016
This was how our one parent was. All.the.time. You could see that it was really starting to wear on the player, where after the game she’d beg the parent to stop doing it.

I am lucky enough that if I see something that dd is doing wrong then I can mention to her between innings since I’m on the bench. The smart parents are the ones who see me making my rounds around the ball field and will nicely ask if I could tell their dd (insert cue word here) between innings.

Yelling out a cue word here or there is fine but harping on every little thing a player does that appears wrong will not help during a game. College coaches take notice of that, as well.
The worse is when you have a pitcher's parent set up right behind the backstop yelling out instruction every pitch. A few times I wanted to offer up my seat in LF/RF to the parent to save the poor girl..I know personally if that was me pitching I would have thrown the ball in the direction of my parent as many times as necessary to let them know to knock it off..

May 27, 2013
Exactly. Drop off and pick up parents or those who let someone else handle it all and say I keep my mouth shut.. end up with a kid who gets shelled in games. I see it alot on our area.

Curious - so you equate parents who are not yelling out to their dd’s throughout the game as the reason pitchers get shelled in games? I’m not sure I see the correlation. Every pitcher, no matter who they are, gets hit hard once in a while, be it NPF, college, travel, HS, youth leagues. I have yet to know of a pitcher who has not.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Curious - so you equate parents who are not yelling out to their dd’s throughout the game as the reason pitchers get shelled in games? I’m not sure I see the correlation. Every pitcher, no matter who they are, gets hit hard once in a while, be it NPF, college, travel, HS, youth leagues. I have yet to know of a pitcher who has not.

I read the post as parents who take zero initiative in their child’s practice. Leaving it all on the coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 28, 2014
Where did you get that idea?
I was speaking about parents who don't get involved with their kids training and leave up to someone else. If its done correctly it should be a partnership and parents should have a voice. And yes all kids get hit around some more than others. Kinda why girls quit more often than not.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2014
I read the post as parents who take zero initiative in their child’s practice. Leaving it all on the coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Precisely!
Or leave it all to someone else because their not an expert. Just because a parent isn't an expert doesn't mean they can't assist at the correct time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbatistejr