Player responsibility VS. Parents responsibilty

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Responsibility to training and fine tuning technical adjustments~
Who is REALLY in charge?
Who should be?

*this is specifically regarding teenage players who have a college goal, and have been well on their way in fastpitch.
* juniors and seniors

See at times some parents through teenage years structure things to gently get the kid out of the nest.
They back off helicoptering every playing detail.
BUT THEN....
their are 'a few' other parents who become so super involved they transform into
THE MANAGER-COACH-INSTRUCTOR-PRODUCER-MONSTER...
(and *NO they are are involved in anyway with their kids team...)

Seeing this at a younger age would attribute to
'Raising their child' which might start with more guidance and relax it over the years.
That said,
Whats the deal when the player is now a junior or senior and parent becomes
'The MANAGING MONSTER' ?

Every workout becomes coaching judgement of the parent offered in a
COACHING PLAN OF GUIDANCE.
( its as if over the years of watching their kid learn and grow in softball, been to the clinics, listened to the instructors,
poof MANAGING MONSTER) ?

Whats the situation going on here?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
If you had a kid who was a catcher and you knew you could instruct her as good or better than everybody else, for free, you may have a hard time handing her off to somebody else for the instruction..Not saying this is the case in 99% of the cases you are talking about but..

radness

Dec 13, 2019
If you had a kid who was a catcher and you knew you could instruct her as good or better than everybody else, for free, you may have a hard time handing her off to somebody else for the instruction..Not saying this is the case in 99% of the cases you are talking about but..
Hmmm? Could be.
Maybe the parent recognizes their kid is going off to college soon,
So they turn into a
Want-a-be example of what they think a college coach is going to be like?
Or
Want to make the biggest coaching example in the world to overly prepair kid for college coach?

??

May 27, 2013
I knew I couldn’t personally teach pitching to my kid past 10U. Mostly due to her needing a different voice. Same thing with coaching - after 14U she needed to move on from me. Even though I am in the dugout now (recruiting coordinator), I don’t get involved with the coaching decisions at all except if asked or if I know a college coach is there to see a specific player. I honestly didn’t even want that role but was asked numerous times to fill it, so I took it on.

As far as dd’s college recruitment went, she researched the schools and emailed the coaches. I booked the camps at those schools. We worked together to create a web site for her which included links to her videos, newspaper articles, and educational info. She would include that link in her emails.

Everything that happens now (HS senior) is on her. Practice, lessons, etc. I am just along for the ride now.

Jun 8, 2016
Hmmm? Not sure understand that?
Didnt say player doesnt have instruction they go to...
Rather the parent coaches over that.
I was going to the extreme and saying the kid's parent is the only instructor. I agree that coaching over somebody they are paying to instruct their kid is stupid..if you don't like the instruction find somebody else.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I was going to the extreme and saying the kid's parent is the only instructor. I agree that coaching over somebody they are paying to instruct their kid is stupid..if you don't like the instruction find somebody else.
Re-read and edited!
Could be!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I knew I couldn’t personally teach pitching to my kid past 10U. Mostly due to her needing a different voice. Same thing with coaching - after 14U she needed to move on from me. Even though I am in the dugout now (recruiting coordinator), I don’t get involved with the coaching decisions at all except if asked or if I know a college coach is there to see a specific player. I honestly didn’t even want that role but was asked numerous times to fill it, so I took it on.

As far as dd’s college recruitment went, she researched the schools and emailed the coaches. I booked the camps at those schools. We worked together to create a web site for her which included links to her videos, newspaper articles, and educational info. She would include that link in her emails.

Everything that happens now (HS senior) is on her. Practice, lessons, etc. I am just along for the ride now.
@Vertigo pick your brain please....
Do you have any examples you have seen in other parents who have taken the opposite approach?
Later becomming all overseeing powerful oz?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
At the end of the day a lot of parents nowadays don't let their kids fail when they are under their roof..it makes it a lot harder on the kid when they leave the nest.
Think this a BINGO ?
Good one @pattar !!!

Apr 28, 2014
As soon as we felt DD was ready and mature enough to make her own decisions we allowed her. Decisions such as what gym and trainer she wanted to use, who her pitching coach is and how many days she works out. Its also on her to manage her time, she sets up her own schedule including what days she trains, which days she works at her part time job and which days will be for rest. So far its working well for her. In 5 moths she will have to do that all on her own 9 hours from us. Gotta get them ready.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbatistejr