Player of The Year award

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I just have trouble saying, "You were the best player in the country this year, but you can't get the most prestigious individual award in the country because a player not as good as you didn't have the cast around her that you did.'' And as a result of that way of thinking, there's no award that recognizes the single best player in the game.
That's fine. I have trouble saying she's the best player when she never played a single inning in the field. Was she the best hitter? Perhaps, but that's not the best player. Yes, I am aware of the contradiction of me talking about Corrick, but she often hit for her team.

Maybe you break it into three awards:
1) Pitcher of the year.
2) Silver Slugger.
3) MVP.

It would be extremely rare for one player to get more than one award under those guidelines.

Honestly, it's all opinion, and my opinion and a few dollars get you a cup of coffee.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
That's fine. I have trouble saying she's the best player when she never played a single inning in the field. Was she the best hitter? Perhaps, but that's not the best player. Yes, I am aware of the contradiction of me talking about Corrick, but she often hit for her team.

Maybe you break it into three awards:
1) Pitcher of the year.
2) Silver Slugger.
3) MVP.

It would be extremely rare for one player to get more than one award under those guidelines.

Honestly, it's all opinion, and my opinion and a few dollars get you a cup of coffee.

I'm not arguing in favor of Alo per se. I certainly appreciate the part about her not playing the field. Just saying that if she were the best player, or if any OU player is the best, I'd hate for the success of her teammates to work against her in getting the award. Having 3 awards would cover it. Although in the three you suggest, it's still not clear if the best player in the game would get one, depending on how voters viewed 'valuable' in MVP. Maybe best pitcher, best hitter, best player.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00