Pitching to big hitter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
She better be better than "ok giving up a hit here and there" because as she gets older, more and more girls are going to be getting hits. My youngest DD's first travel ball experience was after playing 10u rec and giving up 3 hits out of 18 games. She played 12u on a 00's team and got hit pretty hard. It also didn't help that we had no defense but the 12's hit the ball which she wasn't used to. Now she pitches 16u and pitches well enough to win some games against B's and C's.

I'd say she is doing well against the big hitter that is 1 for 8.

Jul 26, 2010
Don't baseline your kids ability based on rec-player at bats. Many rec players will strike out against a pitching machine. That doesn't mean the pitching machine is a good pitcher. Baseline your kids ability on how she plays against kids of similar ability.

-W

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Every pitcher needs to understand and accept that there is at least one hitter out there that is going to hit you more times than you get her out. It's not a problem to tip your cap to a good hitter. What is paramount is that the pitcher is aware of the situation and does not pitch to the hitter's strength.

Whether it's coaches or catchers calling the game, they need to know this too - trying to get that K all the time with a good hitter is optimal but not always situationally smart. JMHO.

May 25, 2010
As a pitcher, your DD is 7-for-8 against this girl with 7 K's. What's wrong with that? I'm guessing that the non-big hitters are not doing nearly as well against her. I don't see a problem at all.

Feb 7, 2013
1st pitch tight inside and then work away outside corner and changeups. You also might consider a high pitch since most batters that age have a hard time hitting high pitches.

In general, it sounds like she is doing fine. When my DD played 8U, there was one one batter who could hit bombs. My DD would either strike her out or it was an extra base hit everytime. No in between.

I say go after her, but try to get her to swing at a marginal pitch.

May 18, 2009
It's a matter of pride. Being the best means beating the best. It also means staying ahead of the best. This particular girl has a great swing. Her dad is a batting instructor. They play TB together on the same team. It's a fun rivalry that I want my DD to stay up on. The batter does stand tall and relaxed. I love watching the girl swing. Probably the best player in our league. Pitches a little faster than my DD. Our teams have identical records. We've both lost to each other once and tied each other once.

Jul 4, 2012
Low and outside, low and outside, up and in. Now she's thinking. I would save the change until later in the game especially if she gets lucky and faces her with nobody on. I personally don't like mind games at 10 u but consider hitting the backstop while warming up.

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
1st pitch tight inside and then work away outside corner and changeups. You also might consider a high pitch since most batters that age have a hard time hitting high pitches.

In general, it sounds like she is doing fine. When my DD played 8U, there was one one batter who could hit bombs. My DD would either strike her out or it was an extra base hit everytime. No in between.

I say go after her, but try to get her to swing at a marginal pitch.

I agree with this. Give her an inside pitch then pitcher her high. If she is a free swinger, it's hard to lay off a high pitch at 10U. If she does make contact its usually a pop up.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
Sluggers, are you serious when you say "good hitters" become extremely aggressive with runners on base? Makes you sound like you just walked by your first softball game. Good hitters do just the opposite. That's how they get called Good Hitters.

we are talking 10u. good hitters eyes light up when they see bases loaded !!! and good hitters clear the bases

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl