pitching and volleyball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
This probably stupid question but I heard something for the 1st time the other day. I was told that if a pitcher is also playing volleyball that she should taking pitching easy while she is playing volleyball. Problems with the shoulder could arise if she is pitching at top speed during volleyball season. I have never heard this before but after I did. I remember that my DD complained of her shoulder being sore last winter, she had never had any shoulder soreness before, but last year was her 1st year of volleyball. I guess this makes sense I am just not sure why or why I had never heard this before. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
never heard that before either, though and MAYBE coincidental, but our pitcher last year, who ALSO played Volleyball at HS, had shoulder problems in early srping. Her dad referenced her playing volleyball and the repeated motion they practiced was probable cause. Anyone else that has experience or medical background care to share?

Nov 6, 2008
Several years ago one of the top pitching prospects to come out of Florida was bound for a top twenty softball program but injured her pitching shoulder spiking a volleyball her senior year in HS. She never pitched in college. Not sure what her exact injury was but definitely happened playing volleyball.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It is possible for a volleyball player to injure her rotator cuff. Obviously, a severe rotator cuff injury will be detrimental to her softball.

As to "taking it easy" for volleyball season--I don't know how old your DD is. But, if she is going to try to play college, she has to practice year round. She may have to choose between softball and volleyball.

Pitching requires a tremendous amount of dedication. If she is going to play a sport that cuts into her pitching practice, then she is going to have to give up that sport or pitching.

Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
thanks for the info, she is 14 in the eighth grade, once she gets in H.S. we will obviously have to make a decision on whether she is good enough to pitch in College.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd